PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane or rubber control arm bushings?

CoyleJR
01-26-2014, 20:30
My 2006, D/A, 3500, Dually, 4X4 Silverado needs lower control arm bushings. In the next several weeks I will be changing both the upper and lower bushings. I would appreciate any input as to what the best replacement bushing is polyurethane or stock rubber. This truck is used to haul heavy loads 23,000 to 26,000 so the bushings need to be very durable. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated.

John

AKMark
01-28-2014, 13:23
Rubber rides better, poly lasts longer.

Rubber has a little give to it which does make a difference in the way your suspension works. Poly has no give.

I've used both in my vehicles over the years. If you are always pulling hard, Poly might be the way to go. I prefer the rubber ones for my street vehicles and poly for my offroaders.

Sometimes, it's whatever was available at the time.

More Power
02-17-2014, 14:12
Rubber tends to lessen road noise and vibration when compared to poly.

Poly can produce a squeak during suspension articulation.

I'd base choice on how difficult the bushings are to replace.

How do your truck's lower control arm bushings look? Missing pieces? Too much arm movement?

Jim

CoyleJR
02-17-2014, 21:08
Jim,
The left lower rear control arm bushing is falling apart, and the rubber is cracking in all of the control bushings. I suspect that a major contributing factor is the extreme dry heat in AZ. I will probably replace the bushings with rubber bushings. If I get another 200k hard towing miles from the replacement rubber bushings I will be happy.
John

Kennedy
02-18-2014, 07:51
I haven't kept up with modern poly bushings, but I do know that yeaars back there were 2 big knocks on them

1) noise

2) deformation/memory or lack of resilience

In short they tended to distort under load and not want to come back.

I'm pretty sure Michael Tomac did poly bushings years back and later took them out.