PDA

View Full Version : Time for a CP3 pump change???

chessy56
01-10-2014, 23:59
After 330K miles on my '01 LB7, I'm wondering if a preventative replacement would be worth considering- especially since I put ~600 miles on weekly. Over the years, I've used the Lucas, Stanadyne or Power Service additives- all of which have some degree of lubricity in them (not the best by some standards, but at least better than nothing). My Edge monitor shows the desired vs. actual rail pressures to be quite close to each other. After having a couple of clogged filters with the last week's -15 to -25 temps, and a shutdown due to a lack of fuel to the CP3 pump (presumably with a vacuum in excess of 15" Hg and a code P0087/P0093 generated), I'm nervous that the pump may've been taxed rather heavily.

I've heard these pumps are generally bullet proof, but would it be prudent to look at replacing this thing at some point?

Also, are there any good instructions on how to replace the CP3 pump that anyone knows of? (The YouTube videos I've seen so far kind of suck- show you realatively little on a step by step basis.)

rapidoxidationman
01-11-2014, 15:17
Alldata.com ? It's saved me way more money than it has cost me on the several cars and trucks I have subscriptions for. I'd guess that if it can get me in and out of a duramax's head gaskets it can get you in and out of a fuel pump:)

Kennedy
01-13-2014, 09:06
I think I might forego any pump replacement until the next injector replacement. Maybe either set aside the funds or parts.

The CP3's have seemingly been VERY reliable with only rare instances of catastrophic failure.