PDA

View Full Version : Need help with possible MAP sensor issue

lmholmes11
01-09-2014, 16:23
It has been around -5 degrees lately with -20 wind chills. Started up truck this morning let it run for about 25 minutes. Took off down the road and got a P0106 Turbo engine under boost. Pulled to side of the road, cleared code and kept going. No limp mode at this point. Few more miles then got a P0106 MAP code. Now in limp mode and keeps coming back. Where is the MAP sensor at? From what ive read its in the valley behind a coolant pipe but i cant seem to find it. Ive attached a picture of where i think it should be. Truck is a 2007 LBZ, egr turned off by Kennedy.

rapidoxidationman
01-09-2014, 17:56
On my '05 it is inside the air intake pipe just downstream of the air filter. Dunno about an '07, but look for an electrical connection on the pipe.

DmaxMaverick
01-09-2014, 21:51
I'm not sure, either, where it is on the 2007, and it may be different between the early and late models (2007 and 2007.5). There are 2 intake pressure sensors, one before the compressor, and one after. Look near the plenum for the MAP sensor, downstream from the turbo compressor.

bobt
01-09-2014, 22:54
On my 2009, it is in the air duct right after the air filter. I unplugged mine, removed the two screws that held it in and cleaned it with MAP spray cleaner. Cleared my problem.
Bob

DmaxMaverick
01-10-2014, 00:20
On my 2009, it is in the air duct right after the air filter. I unplugged mine, removed the two screws that held it in and cleaned it with MAP spray cleaner. Cleared my problem.
Bob

That's the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. The MAP sensor is the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. It reports the pressure of intake air entering the cylinders, charged (boost) or not. The MAF sensor may also send IAT, atmospheric pressure values, as well as air filter restriction values, depending on year model and emission delivery state. The MAP sensor will be between the turbo compressor and intake plenum.

Kennedy
01-10-2014, 08:57
It has been around -5 degrees lately with -20 wind chills. Started up truck this morning let it run for about 25 minutes. Took off down the road and got a P0106 Turbo engine under boost. Pulled to side of the road, cleared code and kept going. No limp mode at this point. Few more miles then got a P0106 MAP code. Now in limp mode and keeps coming back. Where is the MAP sensor at? From what ive read its in the valley behind a coolant pipe but i cant seem to find it. Ive attached a picture of where i think it should be. Truck is a 2007 LBZ, egr turned off by Kennedy.

The map sensor is in the aluminum casting that meets with the cold side IC tube. It's right up front top and just before the intake heater which is the rectangular shaped device with all the power to it.

There is likely nothing wrong with the MAP sensor. It probably just iced due to the atmospheric conditions.

PIP4307F is one document covering this

Document ID# 2046112 is another

The first one adds a section of tubing that protrudes into the air stream extending the inlet port away from the recess of the casting.

The second one uses a NPT fitting, a section of hose and moves the sensor back off the casting altogether.

bobt
01-10-2014, 22:40
Oops. My bad. Guess I need to wear my reading glasses more.
Bob

lmholmes11
01-11-2014, 05:36
Thank you everyone for your input. Just to update everyone, Kennedy I believe you are right. I pit the truck in our heated barn over night and the light hasn't returned since. Its probably time to run my winter front cover!

Kennedy
01-13-2014, 09:20
I don't know that the winter front will eliminate the condition, but sure can't hurt. This is more a matter of moisture in the air and cold temps. They used to call this "turnpike icing" back in the carburetor days. You could actually fill a carburetor venture with ice/frost in the right conditions if no heat riser was present.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DwUMAaiyMoYC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=turnpike+icing+carburetor&source=bl&ots=02Yw3flKvD&sig=5PK-oir9egVXY55eoAVuvwLrNEU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gxPUUsSeI-H_2wXGpIGgDw&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=turnpike%20icing%20carburetor&f=false