PDA

View Full Version : Right rear axle leaking need bearings seal and hub info

finnsterman
01-08-2014, 19:36
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd with a right rear axel leak. I have owned this truck for over ten years and have tried to fix this problem 4 times. Each time I have researched this site and followed your instructions. This last attempt I replaced the inner and outer hub bearing along with a new axle seal but things got worse. I purchased the bearings and races from a local auto parts store where the clerk "matched" them up for me. When I took it apart today the outer bearing was destroyed. I believe the axle is AMM 11.5. I need suggestions on what and where to buy parts.
Can I get a rear hub assembly with the bearings preloaded?
If not do the bearings and races come as a set?
What is the best axle seal?
I have read about a "Speedy Sleeve" where can I get it?
Part numbers would be great. Web sight links good too

finnsterman
01-12-2014, 19:39
I think i got it fixed:)!!! I got the part from a regional GM parts dealer.
Thanks anyway

Kennedy
01-13-2014, 09:30
The proper seal for this application should be a 2 pc seal. A 2 piece seal differs greatly from a one piece in that the inner part seats on the spindle and does not rotate. The outer piece seats inside the hub and rotates making the sealing surface part of the seal assembly.

I have yet to see one of these trucks that did not have the RR seal leaking and sliming the park brake shoes.

More Power
01-13-2014, 14:46
In the past, the folks at Randy's Ring & Pinion www.ringpinion.com (http://www.ringpinion.com) had a tech help line. If you need parts, and buy some or all of them from Randy's, they'll walk you through the installation process. Jim