PDA

View Full Version : NEW 6.5 TD for my 95 Suburban

TGVet
01-01-2014, 18:53
Well, its been quite some time since I've been on here and now that I just turned 300,000 miles on my 05 Ram 5.9, I'm ready to get my Sub back on the road again since it died in April 05. I really miss it and need it before any major issues happen to my Ram.

That said, I'm very curious to know whom of you installed a new 6.5 TD in your rig, preferably a K2500 w/the 4L80E and which 6.5 builder/re-builder did you go with.

I thought long ago I'd do the Duramax/Allison swap, even got Jim B's book on doing it. Then I came upon Peninsular Diesels engines and now tonight I discovered Bostic Motors build. I don't know of any others right now, I'm sure there are some, but I'm putting this out there in hopes of getting a variety of feedback from you guys and what you did to keep your 6.5 powered rig running.

I've been on Duraburbs website and saw the awesome conversions they do, but I don't think I'll be able to afford what they charge. Dang near the amount of new rig.

Thanks guy's.

trbankii
01-02-2014, 09:27
Well, Peninsular Diesel sells the upgraded AMG/GEP blocks. It looks like Bostic is selling aftermarket blocks - Canadian? Chinese? Wherever?

If you're serious about it, I'd go for a genuine AMG/GEP over aftermarket. But that is going to cost you. Others can weigh in on their experiences with the aftermarket blocks.

If you're a member, Jim has a good article in the member's section: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/AMGID.htm

93GMCSierra
01-02-2014, 10:33
This is just a suggestion too, convert to the dodge 5.9 cummins. Might be less expensive then duramax.

bshull
01-02-2014, 20:20
I had this issue two or three years ago. I re-powered my 95 1500 burb with a p400 from peninsular. It was an expensive option.

I use my burb for travel, minimum of 50,000 miles per year with tools and a need of 4X4. At that time I looked over the same options that you have now.

After a couple of years I now own a burb that is 19 years old with a good, very reliable motor. Now the body is starting to show it's age. This leaves me with the choice of spending more money to keep the body in top shape or let it go and replace it in a couple of years.

I plan on replacing it in a couple of years. If GM has a diesel powered burb for sale again I will go this route, if not I will go to Duraburb and never look back.

I really enjoy my suburban, the p400 is strong but it is still a 6.5 diesel. Driving hard I average 17 mpg, anything above 70 mph and the fuel mileage drops. Duraburb claims 21 mpg on the highway vs my 17. A Duramax engine has far more power and a larger aftermarket support.

Looking back I would still re-power my burb but I wonder what life would be like if I bought a newer body and sent it to Duraburb.

If your suburban body is in perfect shape and the interior is also perfect, re-power it. If you want truck with a younger body, more pulling power and better mileage, go Duraburb.

My two cents

Brian

93GMCSierra
01-02-2014, 21:10
I have never put the dodge 5.9 in, however my brother owned a 99 dodge 1 ton dually and his average fuel mileage was 24mpg unloaded, I do not recall what it was loaded but I know with this
http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/Van%20and%20Motorhome%20on%20truck.jpg

It was still close to 20mpg. at 55mph, and that was for stopping purposes, when needed that thing would jump forward to pass.