PDA

View Full Version : Allison stays in 4th gear

Alfkndy
12-31-2013, 05:35
Drive line got bent and I drove my 06 duramax 5-10 miles. The vibration broke
The low and reverse clutch housing .(back half of housing the crossmember
Mount is molded into). I dropped allison , removed housing, welded and put
Back together . Installed in truck . Now when I put it in drive it goes in reverse
Normally, then I continue to drive it clunks into gear but it's 4th . I can tell because I shift to M and display says 4th. Check engine light comes on and the scanner tells me it's P0762 ss3 stuck open. Did I not get guts put back in right?
I put shifter in M and try running through gears but no matter what gear I try to shift to tranny stays in 4th. Reverse still works. It all went back together smooth
And the shaft turned smooth after reassembly. I checked all wiring for bad connections etc. and didn't see anything broke or worn.Haven't replaced ss3 yet . Didn't want to waste money until I got some input from someone who had to do the same repairs on housing or at least has been into these trannys before. Any info
Would be much appreciated.

More Power
01-20-2014, 13:59
Guess no one has an idea for you.

I always carry a tool set with me in the truck. It's one of those tool sets that contains a complete 3/8" drive metric socket set, screw drivers, and metric end wrenches. It all fits into a molded case that slides beneath the back seat. It goes everywhere the truck goes.

If what happened to you had happened to me, I'd remove the rear driveline, then drive the 5-10 miles home using 4WD. I also carry tape with me, and if the road was dusty, I'd tape a plastic bottle over the end of the transfer case output shaft housing.