PDA

View Full Version : How to turbo my 6.2 diesel?

Deercamp
12-23-2013, 15:22
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1990 Chevy 4x4 half ton with a 6.2 diesel, I bought a couple of years back. I've been slowly restoring it. Recently I purchased a 1993 3/4 ton 6.5 diesel with a factory turbo and a broken crankshaft. The 1993 is pretty rough shape but I was interested in removing the turbo and installing it on my 1990.

I had been looking for a 93 diesel for quote sometime with the mechanical injector pump so I could utilize the turbo from this engine on my project. This turbo I think is the only year with the mechanical activated waste gate.

I removed the turbo, manifolds, injector pump, and all other associated hardware from the 1993.

I have done a little research on this and found that the injectors on a 6.2 are slightly different shape or longer and the manifolds from a 6.5 will not work without a spacer. This information I found was from an older (80's) 6.2. Because mine is 1990 would the injectors be the same or will I need a spacer?

I also don't plan on using the injector pump that I removed from the 93 because I have a rebuilt one already on the 90. Again from what I'm reading I can turn up my existing injector pump using the same procedure as the Banks Sidewinder turbo to give the required fuel for the turbo.

I've never done this job before and I was wondering if anyone else out there has done this and might have a couple pointers or things that I might need in advance before installing the turbo. I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch of stuff that may need to be done. Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of the information I have, I'm going off talking to people and reading from other posts.

What do you think everyone?

Yukon6.2
12-23-2013, 23:46
Hi Deercamp
Welcome to the page.
You may have to use the injectors and lines from the 93.Otherwise everything should bolt up.
If you don't use the pump keep it as a back up,it should be a DB31-4911,which is a sot after pump.The heads on your 6.2 should be the same as the 6.5,they are on mine.
Are you able to keep the donar truck?Is not there are a few other goodies you should keep,for yourself or trading stock befor getting rid of the truck.
Thomas

Deercamp
12-25-2013, 01:13
I'm keeping the donor truck. The donor truck had full 4 inch exhaust and mandrel bend cross over pipe. I will be installing this on my 1990.

The donor truck also has an upgraded high flow rate water pump, it is the same set-up used on the 97-98 6.5 diesel.

The donor truck also has a after market gauge cluster that is used on door/cab post with exhaust, tranny temp, and turbo boost.

The 700R4 transmission on the donar truck has an upgraded transmission pan with a drain and cooling fins.

I'm pretty excited to get everything back together and try it out.

dixiepc
12-26-2013, 08:07
You can also use the serpentine setup from the 6.5 donor on your 6.2.

Some of the later 6.2's had the same heads as the 6.5's. Look at the angle of the injectors and you can tell. The 6.2 heads had the injectors angled kind of outward while the 6.5 heads angled the injectors more upward. There's not alot of difference but you can see it well if you compare them.

If you use short injectors and the lines that go with them you may not have to shim the turbo manifold. I have done it with just using two exhaust manifold gaskets.

Being as your 6.2 is a 90' model it probably already has short injectors and lines.

arveetek
12-26-2013, 12:40
The 700R4 transmission on the donar truck has an upgraded transmission pan with a drain and cooling fins.

Double check that tranny... the '93 3/4 ton should have a 4L80E transmission, not a 700R4 or 4L60E.

Casey

Deercamp
12-28-2013, 21:02
Double check that tranny... the '93 3/4 ton should have a 4L80E transmission, not a 700R4 or 4L60E.

Casey

Thanks Casey, i will look into to that.

Your probably right.