PDA

View Full Version : Dash instruments- Lights Out

chessy56
12-21-2013, 21:31
I have no lights on my A/C control module (Fan, blend or output duct selectors). Looks like the lamps are LEDs mounted internally. Anyone ever repair these things or do you just get a replacement module? Also, can you replace the lights on the instrument cluster or are those internal LEDs too? (Radio lights are also out, but so is my right side channels- radio needs replacement).

'01 Silverado. Anyone with ideas or suggestions?

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2013, 23:43
There's a youtube video (or a few) on how to repair the LED's in the radio, and various others. Try a search. The IPC, on the other hand, is different. Those are bulbs, and if they all went AWOL at the same time, it's probably the headlamp switch (dimmer function), which may also explain some of the other outages. The headlamp switch isn't too expensive, and super easy to replace.

More Power
12-27-2013, 14:37
I'd check for power and ground at the HVAC module connector before suspecting "all" of the lamps went together. Like Greg suggested, it might be the HL switch.

Jim

chessy56
12-29-2013, 10:33
The individual mode selector buttons (A/C, Recirc, etc) have tiny lamps that illuminate when I select those modes. I first lost one lamp around the diverter control, then the lamp around the blend knob and finally, the knob around the fan speed control. There is a web site that sells lamp kits: http://corvetteradios.com/corvetteradios_013.htm. They're a bit expensive, but the guy from this site says he's got kits that are made up of GM lamp parts. They look authentic, but if you call any Chevy dealership they'll tell you this is not a serviceable item. It's worth a look anyway and they sell lamp kits for several of the Chevy/GM radio faceplates.

"Maverick" referred to YouTube videos- there are a few (some quite painful to watch) and while they may not cover the exact module I have, it would appear that they are close enough to get you going. All you need is a small soldering iron, some fine wire solder ("flux core" to clean any oxidation off of the leads you're soldering) and some "Solder Wick" (should be available at any electronics parts house; optional item, but I like to use it).

Here's some more info:
You can get similar lamps at McMaster; search for a "7219" wire terminal lamp. They are available in 10 packs or individually.
You can get the same 7219 type bulb through Newark; they're available individually with no minimum buy amount, about 75 cents ea. Figure about another $6 or so for USPS delivery.
Radio Shack sells a similar bulb, p/n 272-1092 for about $2 for a 2 pk.