PDA

View Full Version : Steering clunk

Dsimonl
12-15-2013, 17:26
1991 Suburban square body 4x4. I've got a clunk on the left side when I turn the wheel from left to right.....but only when driving.....and only when turning rapidly....like the weight shifting back and forth.

I just had the front end rebuilt - new ball joints, tie rods, spindle ujoints, wheel bearings, ubolts, seals, brakes, and steering arm.

I checked the obvious - no crack in frame at steering rack, removed sway bar, checked tightness of shocks and steering damper, and checked all bolts under the front end.

Could something in the front end rebuild cause a clunking like this? I'm at a loss!

Yukon6.2
12-15-2013, 20:05
Have you checked the spring bushings,shackles,and bolts?

Dsimonl
12-15-2013, 22:26
I have not. Other than noting that the bushing ends are cracked, is there any other way to check for wear? These scare me!

DmaxMaverick
12-16-2013, 02:13
If they're cracked on the outside, they're cracked on the inside. As they age, they shrink, crack and harden. Don't be scared, the job ain't that bad.

Yukon6.2
12-16-2013, 18:20
I had a 1 ton that one of the rear bushings in the frame for the front spring was so wore that the spring would ride against the frame.It was off road use.
Do you notice any clunking when you back up?
If so look at your motor mounts.
Thomas

DieselSub
12-16-2013, 18:24
I have had my Square Sub for 15 years. I disassembled the front axle from the spring leaf-pack and replaced the nylon insulators between the axle and springs. Following that, I had the same problem you are describing. The axle housing was slightly shifting against the springs causing a 'thunk'. I removed the insulators, reassembled VERY tightly and the problem went away.

Bruce

Dsimonl
12-16-2013, 21:59
I just put a new axle in as well....no insulator, but I did use new ubolts tightened to about 120ft/lbs. should i go a bit more?

I also checked out ORB and DIY4x for new spring bushings. I was thinking if I'm going to do the work, I might as well get the heavy duty shackles front and rear :p