PDA

View Full Version : Scanner software?

V1500
10-09-2005, 09:07
Hello everyone, this is my first post here smile.gif
I bought my first ever 6.5TD yesterday. It's a 1995 GMC K2500 Suburban SLT. I've never owned a diesel before, or a turbo either for that matter, so I'm feeling a bit lost :rolleyes:

I'd like to get my hands on some sort of scanning software for my laptop so I can poke around and see what's happening under the hood. I recently owned a 99 Camaro SS and for that I used AutoTap. For my 89 Blazer I use WinALDL. What scanner software would you recommend using for the Suburban?

I've got a DTC 78 flashing the SES light every now and then and that makes me a bit nervous. I have EGT and boost gauges (installed by the previous owner) but the boost gauge isn't working. I have no idea what to look for to get it working again either. It seems to have some sort of mechanical connection but I really have no clue how to find out what's wrong with it. I figured maybe I can get a boost reading from the PCM?

[ 10-09-2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: SwedeBurb ]

MTTwister
10-09-2005, 14:51
Welcome! Use the search feature - in the upper right corner - The '95 should be OBDI, the '96 and later are OBDII's. ( There's a great laptop product for the '96's, but I haven't been researching prior years, for obvious reasons. smile.gif

If you go to Kennedy diesel's site, and look under tech tips - you will see how he installed the boost to the upper manifold. Look for a plastic tube running from close to where the turbo 'attaches' to the upper manifold back into the cab. If you have boost, it's most likely a "disconnect' in that line.

Just remember, a lot of what you read here is from people researching solutions to problems, but not all 6.5's are problem prone.

rmaciver
10-09-2005, 15:52
MTtwister I have a recently purchased 99 suburban I've been looking for laptop scanner software also. The companies I've talked with say their software may or may not be able to pull codes for diesels. What software were you referring to?

Barry Nave
10-10-2005, 00:25
Swede
Boost will have a plasic tube.EGT will have a braded wire from driver side EX. manfold or down pipe from the turbo,passenger side.
Code 78 will give you no boost,so gauge would not show boost.
This takes you to the Vacuum pump.
Front of Eng.Pass side.down by the lower rad. hose. A plastic tube runs from there in front of the injection pump to a solenoid on top of the driver side vavle cover.From there to the turbo waste gate actuator.
Check, Pull rubber boot off solenoid.Line from pump should pull 20"(inch) of vacuum.(none,bad pump or line set)
Pull rubber boot of the waste gate acuator,may be stuck and this connector may split. Should pull 15"(none,waste gate solenoid bad,line set bad)
Waste gate rod from actuator to turbo should not move with Eng. running and should move freely when shut down.
The waste gate actuator should hold vacuum also.
95% of the time it maybe the Solenoid. Vacuum pumps do go bad also.
My truck has been through it all :mad:
There for it now has the Turbo Master Controler :cool:
No need for Pump,Solenoid,Line set,Actuator.
Replaced
1 vacuum pump
2 solenoid
1 line set
All in keeping the boost to work,to quit again :rolleyes:
With the Turbo Master the Solenoid stays hooked up to the wires and stays inplace. Still use JK boost fooler,pcm does'nt see the higher boost.

Hope this helps,there will be a long string on this topic in the search above.
My reason for the Turbo Master was that even I could not get the computer control boost to work. :confused: :mad:

MTTwister
10-10-2005, 12:39
Look here:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007871

I haven't made the purchase yet, myself...

rjwest
10-10-2005, 12:46
OBD1 is different from OBD2, IE pre 96 vs post 96

Do internet search, many scanners, CAUTION, best call , as most cheap scanners do not work on Diesel.

The LAptop programs are probably the most ' bang for the buck'

I have the Carcode program and software.
obd-2.com

Updates free and around 125 US ,

Not much documentation though,

V1500
10-10-2005, 13:30
Thanks for all your replies :D

I think I'm gonna give up on looking for an OBDI diesel scanner and just stick to using a paperclip. I'm gonna spend my money on a Heath combo instead smile.gif
I'm having them look up the cost of shipping to Sweden as I write this. I'm getting the Max-E-Tork E-prom / Turbo-Master boost controller / PMD Isolator combo :cool:

Barry Nave
10-11-2005, 03:56
I think I'm gonna give up on looking for an OBDI diesel scanner and just stick to using a paperclip. I'm gonna spend my money on a Heath combo instead
I'm having them look up the cost of shipping to Sweden as I write this. I'm getting the Max-E-Tork E-prom / Turbo-Master boost controller / PMD Isolator combo

A very good start.
EGT and Boost gauge should be in this package.
Then again, Higher flowing air filter and EX. also.
Now we have a total package ;)
"How deep can we go" $$$$$) :D

V1500
10-12-2005, 12:01
Originally posted by Bnave95:
Swede
Boost will have a plasic tube.EGT will have a braded wire from driver side EX. manfold or down pipe from the turbo,passenger side.
Code 78 will...Had some time to tinker with the truck today and I followed your description. I don't own a vacuum gauge so I just used my fingertips to sense if there was pull or not :rolleyes:
I came to the conclusion that the wastegate solenoid needed replacing. Bought a new one for $52... stuff is a bit more expensive on this side of the Atlantic :(
Now I've got boost!!! Thank you very much :D
The boost gauge shows 6psi when I floor it. That shaved almost 2 sec of my 0-60 time. It did 0-60 in 18 sec with no boost.
Having owned the truck for only four days I've learned alot. Didn't have a clue about diesels a week ago so it feels good to have been able to fix this. Now I'm just waiting for the stuff from Heath Diesel to show up so I can make some further improvements of my 0-60 time tongue.gif

[ 10-12-2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: SwedeBurb ]

Barry Nave
10-13-2005, 02:21
waiting for the stuff from Heath Diesel to show up so I can make some further improvements of my 0-60 time

Yey!!!!! To heck with fuel mileage :D