PDA

View Full Version : allison 1000 rear cover

smittymann
11-18-2013, 07:16
had a crack in the rear cover/tranns.mount on my 2001 duramax 2500hd ,..pulled the cover, got the gears to stay in the tranny after removal of the cover ,..was wondering about the ring gear with the springs on it also came out ,..any issues with just sticking it back in & slowly tourque down the new cover ,..any input will be appreciated ,...thanks

Kennedy
11-18-2013, 08:56
Are you on a stand upside down or trying to do this in chassis?

You should be able to push the springs down and onto the dowels by hand/gravity. If not then you may have a bind somewhere.

The new housing is stronger (assuming new not used, BUT check your Universal joints as this is most commonly the root cause of this issue.

If you haven't done the tcase wear plate (assuming 4x4) do it now.

smittymann
11-26-2013, 10:18
yes it worked out well ,replacing the back cover,..finally can park with no trans fluid on the ground ,..it had a 2'' crack nex to tranny mount ,..would have been a major prob ,..if not addressed,..yea i did it in my drive way ,..on my back , in the rain ,..lol it worked out well ,..thanx ,.kennedy,..have 1 more issue ,..having a hard time restarting the durmax after warm up ,..starts good cold ,..but will not restart hot ,..?? i changed the primer pump & rubber fuel lines with filter, motor has 164k on it ,..had all new inj. replaced at 121k ,..it worked perfect for 1 day , then back to same old problem ,..i insalled a helper pump from air dog ,..same problem,..the oil is clean ,..no smoke comin out the tail pipe ,..i had a large fuel leak code come on p0093,..had no power, i cleared the code to get back home ,..it ran fine ,..still wont restart ,..

Kennedy
12-02-2013, 10:46
A hot restart issue that fixes itself when cool would make me suspicious of the injectors on the Dmax.

Quite frequently trucks with this condition will start hot with the use of starting aids but I do NOT recommend this unless you really know what you are doing and can give it a VERY conservative sniff while the engine is spinning. I've heard from a fair number who have had their engine run away from too much sniff.

More Power
12-03-2013, 11:39
Looks like you have just 43K on the latest set of injectors. I'd want to change the fuel filter as a first step, then if no help, have an injector fuel return flow test performed on the injectors before just replacing them. A chronic code P0093 is usually caused by worn injectors, but it can also be caused by a plugged fuel filter, weak high pressure injection pump or malfunctioning fuel pressure regulator. Jim

Kennedy
12-03-2013, 13:38
The no start hot is the wild card here. This is most likely a viscosity/return rate issue in my experience. Typically the injectors. The P0093 will more than likely persist when under load and then it's time for ECM programming, but I'd prefer to identify the hot start issue first.

On the P0093 most come to me before spending a small fortune on parts that are unnecessary, but I have had them call after spending over $9000 changing everything only to be cured by an ECM programming change.

More Power
12-03-2013, 14:17
but I have had them call after spending over $9000 changing everything only to be cured by an ECM programming change.

I like the idea of pinning down the dealer's service manager or independent shop manager if he suggests changing an expensive part before ruling out the less expensive.

I suggest asking if he'll guarantee that just the injectors (or pump or FPR) are the cause. This usually spurs him to request more tests before committing to a customer that he "knows" what the problem is.

It's been a few years since any new GM programming has been issued for the LB7, but it might be worth asking if your truck has the latest ECM programming created by GM that was designed to mitigate a number of code sensitivity issues. If aftermarket programming helps, then I'm all for that too.

Kennedy
12-04-2013, 15:41
The problem is, these tests rack up lots of $$$ and typically end up with inconclusive results. I also have yet to see a service manager willing to stick his neck out and guarantee a fix or no charge deal.

I'd hazard a guess that most Cp3's that are replaced are a misdiagnosis and do not fix the issue. The exception of course being the ones that grenade.