PDA

View Full Version : battery questions

gary_lucas
11-17-2013, 20:57
So, the guy who originally owned my truck installed a couple of light force spotlights on the bully bar.

Unfortunately the switch is right where I can tap it with my knee, I had to put black caps on them after almost causing an accident..

Now, I've killed the batteries twice by leaving them on by accident... First time, got BCAA to boost me, took about 15 minutes, his truck booster and 2 battery packs...

2nd time I just worked from home and ran a 10A charge to it overnite... Started no problem...

However, I'm pretty sure the passenger side battery is pooched, when I had a charger on it I could hear it sizzling, I checked the water today and one of the cells was very low... I filled it with distilled water...

However, 2 days later it's dead again, and this time the only thing plugged in was my truck GPS which does NOT draw nearly enough juice to drain the batteries. And I'd run the truck a fair bit so it should have been getting near full so clearly there's a problem.

So 2 things)
1) Do I have to replace both batteries (I'm assuming this is yes as I do believe the old battery will draw down the new one).
2) When I put the charger on the red jump box... One charger refused to charge, immedatly went into desulfation mode but I don't think it was actually pushing any amps. The other new charger (gave the old one to Dad) was reading 17.0 V on that post. Not sure if it was charging but it was reading 17.0v on the clamps and then 11.5v on the passenger battery and 11.8v on the driver side battery.

Right now I've got a trickle charge on the good battery, something is clearly ****ed because at 10A it went from 35% to 65% charge in 1 hour based on the charger. There's no way that's correct. I turned it down to 2A and am leaving it overnight.

Also, I'm planning on going to CanTire tomorrow and getting new batteries... Anyone got suggestions for cheaper alternatives?

Anyone have any opinions on boost packs? I got a heavy duty one from can tire and returned it... I think it was defective, charged... clamped... Turned on... Nothing at all...

Gary

Yukon6.2
11-17-2013, 23:27
Hi Gary
If you can swing it get some Optima batterys.
I had the NAPA version and they lasted 12 yrs in my diesels.I put a new set in both my diesels.I got them at Wallyworld,but you should have a few options on where to buy some.
Thomas

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2013, 00:33
Yes, replace both batteries (period). Optima are good/better, but do what your wallet can do. Delco are better than most, Optima are better. Warranties are as good as you are willing to work with.

gary_lucas
11-18-2013, 19:56
Got a decent price on a set of interstate batteries.

$145 each,

The Optima's are just too expensive right now at nearly double the price.

Hopefully won't need another pair for 5 years.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had noticed voltage reading weirdness at the charging post near the driver side battery.

It was reading 17.0V at the post last nite, is that normal?