PDA

View Full Version : Tow/Haul 2013/14

Bob E.
11-14-2013, 10:08
We had a 2003 Duramax and traded it on an '09 - which was decidedly different in the way the Tow/Haul worked. We much preferred the quicker engagement of the downshift on the '03 and better response to braking while pulling our 5th wheel. Does anyone know if they have gone back to the older algorithm on the braking, or if this feature will be any different on the 2014? Or any other reasons to get a 2014 rather than a 2013?

Thanks
Bob

More Power
11-14-2013, 12:40
I can't answer your question with specifics, but I can talk a little about why T/H is different.

The new trucks have a higher tow rating, larger brakes and the braking system has been changed to make them feel and operate more aggressively (allow the driver to feel more confident in the braking system).

Also, the new 6-speed trucks give the owners the ability to manually select gears. More effective brakes and a manual shift capability reduces the need for an aggressive T/H operation, which makes driving the truck (while towing) appear to be more refined.

The programming was designed to allow a wide range of driver skill to feel confident while towing and to allow the truck to operate within safe limits (from both a safety and drivetrain standpoint). I suggest trying it, then report back what your experience has been. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised. Jim

Kennedy
11-14-2013, 13:29
And of course the exhaust braking feature is fantastic.

The later models are maybe not so quick to downshift, but they are overall smarter, maybe consider it more patient.

Bob E.
11-15-2013, 08:27
Makes sense. Thanks to you both, I will report back.

Bob

XFACTOR7
12-17-2013, 07:56
Go with the new 2014. You won't regret it!

needbigtruck
01-06-2014, 14:19
This is a quote I found while researching the Allison: "The range selection feature holds the gear pre-selected by the driver and electronic safeguards prevent the transmission from being shifted in a manner that could cause engine damage or loss of vehicle control" So to be clear I can select 6th gear and the transmission will not shift out of 6th (even if vehicle slows going up big grade) until engine RPM's drop to a point the engine would stall . I own a VW Jetta TDI with a DSG transmission that once 6th is selected will stay in 6th until I get to about 30 MPH (around 900 RPM) or I floor it. I love this feature on the Jetta, and don't regret not getting a stick. Point is I currently own 2001 with the 6 speed manual, which Chevy does not offer any more. My only option of the big three is to go with a Dodge. They still offer a stick. If I can truly shift the Allison with the paddle shifter then I could be persuaded to stick with Chevy. I have few complaints with my current truck, leaking fuel lines rotted brake lines and the awful emergency brake setup, is about all I have to complain about, but these, or other comparable problems are common to all 3 manufacture's. I'm in the market for a new truck and really like driving a diesel with a stick shift. Like I said if the quote really means what is says and I have control then I could stay a Chevy man.