PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game

convert2diesel
11-08-2013, 23:15
Well it looks like I'm back in the game with a 99 K2500 with the revolutionary 5.688 liter turbo diesel (one dead jug ). Hope to have the brick out next weekend and crack it open to preview the carnage.

Sending out the DS4 to be bench tested along with the squirts. Rest of the exterior bits seem to be all right (turbo, alt, ac compressor etc.) so will be swapping out the long block.

There's a ton of miles on this thing and even though the tranny seems good (fluid is the right colour, shifts fine etc.) I'm going for dependability on this build. The better looking one is tired of me fixing our tow vehicle when we go on vacation. She wants an Avalanche (of course she would default to the one truck that really holds its value) but that isn't in the cards. For now she will have to be happy with another "project" vehicle. But I digress.

There's a good chance I can get my hands on a good low mileage 4L80 but it is a 93. What's needed to get the 99 PCM to talk nice to this trans and or what differences are there in the two years?

The one in the truck has over 300K on the clock. Been well maintained but with that kind of mileage on it who knows. These things tend to go in the most inconvenient places, at the worst possible times. 1/2 way through Pennsylvania, with 5,000 lbs. of trailer out back is not a good time to lament not putting the effort into replacing the thing. If it was a 400, wouldn't even hesitate but have no experience with the 4L80.

Does no one make a 3 inch exhaust for these things anymore? Need the tail pipe but the rest of the system is perfect. I Have the 3 inch downpipe and the new crossover plus the muffler looks like the day it was installed. Seems they want us to stuff a 4 or 5 inch in there now. Seems like overkill to me.

Resisted getting a truck to tow the trailer now for 20 years, so what did I end up with? A big honking 4X4 with the worst engine of the genre, exhibiting all the issues that everyone has been complaining about. And they say with age comes wisdom. :confused:

Will keep everyone updated on the build.

Bill

(will update my sig if I'm successful)

phantom309
11-09-2013, 04:32
Put an HD2 kit in the 4l80E. They are nearly bulletproof like a T400.

Nick

Robyn
11-09-2013, 09:09
There is a lot of similarity between the 4L80 and the 400, just the added 4th gear the lockup TC and of course the electronics.

The 4L with an added shift kit as mentioned is a good box, and should serve you fine.

Do add the kit while the box is out, just really far easier to do.

Also, on any used 4L, add a set of fresh shift solenoids to the mix too.

These little !@%&ERS can leave things fouled when the die.

Good luck on the build

Missy

Kcustom73
11-13-2013, 17:53
Finally got a tow rig... What didn't want to wait for my Durango ;)

If you need a warm place to work let me know.

BTW we need to get together and get the 6.5 in the cruiser started soon. Give me a shout when your back.

convert2diesel
11-15-2013, 21:21
Finally got a tow rig... What didn't want to wait for my Durango ;)

If you need a warm place to work let me know.

BTW we need to get together and get the 6.5 in the cruiser started soon. Give me a shout when your back.

Will do Kevin. I already have a warm place to work on the truck. My issue is with the truck in there, I don't have any ROOM to work on the truck.

Just got back tonight to a plugged drain in the kitchen and the Caddy's fuel pump crapped out for the 6th time driving back from the train station. Arrived home on the back of a tilt and load :eek:. Certainly glad my CAA membership was paid up.

Bill

More Power
11-20-2013, 15:32
There's a good chance I can get my hands on a good low mileage 4L80 but it is a 93. What's needed to get the 99 PCM to talk nice to this trans and or what differences are there in the two years?
Bill

(will update my sig if I'm successful)

Welcome back to the fold!

As I understand it, the valve bodies are different between the early/late 4L80-E transmissions. The electrical plugs are also different as a result. I don't know what else may be different.

I'd be inclined to get what you have rebuilt if it needs it. There may be structural, alloy and/or design differences that are the result of evolutionary improvements - hopefully for the better.

Jim