PDA

View Full Version : New project | p3500 grumman olson step van

FUZEMAG
10-21-2013, 11:30
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to diesels. I recently purchased a P3500 (1 ton & automatic) w/a Detroit Diesel 6.2L. I have been looking at the love/hate conversations online but haven't come across any info for step van-type applications.

I understand this engine to have slow acceleration but wanted to hear from those of you whom are more knowledgeable than myself, what things I could do to make my ride less boring performance-wise as I intend to use this to travel cross-country. This is going to be used as a mobile office/RV and I'd like to have a little "get up and go". I am already looking into Banks turbo upgrade but what else?

Dvldog8793
10-21-2013, 13:48
Howdy
Welcome to the diesel page. I have a couple of 6.2 non-turbo vehicles. The biggest difference I have found is gearing/transmission and application. If your intent would be to travel at Highway speeds of 70-80 then maybe something like 3.73 or lower gears with a 700R4 transmission. My 1984 chevy van has this set up and it travels down the road pretty good. The engine itself has not been modified at all and is the low output 6.2 with EGR.

If it was my vehicle and I was going for that type of application:
Assuming it is a non EGR higher out put 6.2 IN GOOD CONDITION-
Open single plane manifold
Turn up the pump...just a little...this is listed here as well.
New head bolts and gaskets unless it has been documented and done.
cool air induction of some sort
Modified hummer headers(cheap) or headers by stan (expensive but nice)
Open exhaust
Evaluate the cooling system and modify if needed, lots of info on that here.
Transmission cooler
All synthetic lube in the rear and front bearings

try to get the rig as low to the ground as you can because at highway speeds wind drag on that machine is going to be HUGE.

Just by a SWAG...I would think the above mods would give about 20-30hp over stock.

This all just my opinion...the turbo route would give you more power but might cost considerably more.

I have no complaints with my non turbo rigs but more is normally better....:D

Drive it for awhile and develop you own opinion....

Lots of GREAT info here...

Hope this helps..

FUZEMAG
10-21-2013, 17:08
@Dvldog8793 thanks for the info!!