PDA

View Full Version : CUCV Pickup Trucks - Where to find

stantjeeper85
10-17-2013, 17:44
I've had a lot of experience around 6.2s - my dad had an 85 c10 suburban from before I was born and into my early 20s, and I had my own k10 suburban for a few years as well. I'm looking into getting back into the 6.2 world and am greatly intrigued by the CUCVs - especially the M1028 and M1008 pickup trucks - with their 1 1/4 ton drivetrain and less most having less than 50,000 miles on them. Talk about taking a step back in time! Question is: where/what is the best way to get one? Where/when does the government hold auctions? I live in Jacksonville, FL - I've seen some good ones on craigslist but think I may prefer to by straight from the government. Any thoughts?

Yukon6.2
10-17-2013, 18:27
Hi
Look online for government action sites.I'm in Canada and there is one for Federal surplus .
I'v seen some for Alaska,but can't remember what they were called.
Good luck in your search.
Thomas

DmaxMaverick
10-17-2013, 18:48
Government Liquidation (http://www.govliquidation.com/) may be what you're looking for.

Dvldog8793
10-17-2013, 18:59
Howdy
Just an FYI....the 1-1/4 ton rating was springs only. Not much else was different from the standard 1ton with the right options. The nice things about the M1028 was that it had the "right" options...as long as you only want to go 60MPH. Something to consider is that even thought the odo says VERY low miles. Most of these trucks were on a start/idle program. in other words they would be started once a week and idled for up to an hour and then shut down....this could have been done for MANY years. Also many depots that have had them sitting around for years have not done anything to prepare them for sitting. If you get one straight from Gov, expect to replace every seal and rubber part on it.
Hope this helps

trbankii
10-17-2013, 19:28
Government Liquidation (http://www.govliquidation.com/) may be what you're looking for.

This - was just watching one that sold locally.

wpdozer
11-13-2013, 01:49
You may try the steel soldiers website classifieds section. Prices are higher than what these trucks auction for at Gov Liquidations, but the owners shake the usual gremlins out of them, and upgrade them with OD tranny's turbochargers, and better fuel systems, like spin on filters and electronic fuel pumps.
The OD tranny swap is a must unless the truck is just being used around town, or on the farm. All the trucks have the TH400 and 4.56 gearing, and trust me, at 55 mph the 6.2 sounds like it's going to blow through the hood. The Blazer/M1009, has TH400 and 3.08 gearing, and is more at home on the highway than the trucks. These trucks are sprung like a stone boat, no cushy ride here. My girlfriend hates riding in mine. LOL!