PDA

View Full Version : New guy new motor need help!

zachmoore
10-06-2013, 16:28
Hey y'all I've been planning on doing a k5 6.2 swap. I ran across a 83 k20 6.2 with the banks turbo bad news is it doesn't run. It turns over and will fire with wd-40 sprayed in. The dude I got it from put an electric fuel pump in it and told me the injector pump was bad but when I got it home he had the wrong wire on the fuel shutoff solenoid so I swapped fixed that and now the injectors have some fuel to them not much and not pressurized. the tps is no bolted on the IP either is that a big deal? the Glow plug light does not come on and I don't think they work any direction on getting that working would be great. There are also some wires that go nowhere as well.

I want to get it running before I swap it into the k5 for obvious reasons. I will post pictures of things that I need help with If I can figure out how to post them. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Pic 1- what are these wires for?

pic 2-Voltage regulator?

pic 3- what is it/ is it important?

pic 4- How he had it wired

Pic 5- glowplug solenoid? how do I troubleshoot it?

Yukon6.2
10-06-2013, 20:54
Hi Zach
Welcome to the page.
I think pic 1+2 are wiring for a auxiliary battery and the isolating solenoid.Can be used for winch,trailer,ect.
Pic 3 looks like the old fuel line that would have gone to a firewall mounted filter.
The 83's had a sensor in the back of the drivers side head that was part of the glow plug system.They were not the best.You should upgrade to a 87+ system,or turn yours into a manual system with a push button.
If you are the only driver than a push button might be ok,best is the 87+ and a push button.But if you are into simple and plan on you being in control than a push button is great.Get some Quickheat plugs from Site sponsor Kennedy Diesel and you should be good.Do a couple searches on glow plugs and read away.
Thomas