PDA

View Full Version : Hello and simple head?

sub 84
09-17-2013, 11:48
Hey fellas new to the board. But glad to be here great bunch of folks seems and lot of knowledge. Had a simple? On 6.2 heads. I've got a engine pulled down to the block and Im not to the point of putting heads back on. And the shop I had them checked at is ready for them to be picked up. What do guys do to protect them from rust or damage. While in wait. Do u coat them in something. Any help would be great thanks

trbankii
09-17-2013, 12:51
How long do you plan to have them sitting around? There are a number of products out there, but if it isn't going to be longterm I just spray stuff down with WD40 and wrap it in plastic. Drycleaning garment bags are good.

Dvldog8793
09-18-2013, 04:46
Howdy
For long term storage or general corrosion protection of metal parts I use Boeshield T-9. GREAT product, limited use as a lubricant but fantastic for protection. Expensive but most of the time really good products...:D

sub 84
09-18-2013, 12:09
Hey thanks for reply. Yea it be a little bit before can get them back on. Having block work done now. Hopefully everything be done and back together soon. Has anyone posted a good rebuild thread? I no could help newcomers like myself. Thought bout doing one step by step with lots of input from folks along the way.It seems there is a lot of dos and don't in a rebuild of this engine?

rapidoxidationman
09-19-2013, 13:15
I'd think the shop that did the head work would be able to either preserve the heads in the appropriate manner or suggest the "right" way to do so on your own. Maybe ask 'em?

Robyn
09-20-2013, 07:24
Soray them all over with WD40 then stuff them in a heavy garbage bag.

I have done this for years.

You might want to mask and paint them before you get any oil on them.

Before you install them, be sure to remove any of the preservatives from the heads deck surfaces, as these need to be clean and oil free when they go onto the gasket.

Good luck, good to have you here. :)

Missy

tomtaylor
09-21-2013, 18:11
just do a thread search at the top tool bar, there is tons of good info here from lots of people on that topic. you will definitely find everything you need to know.