PDA

View Full Version : 1996 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel

wolf_knife76
08-25-2013, 19:14
getting a little frustrated i was given a 96 chevy 3500 dully crew cab and the motor didnt run replaced the pmd and it ran fine drove it for a couple weeks and blew the motor its a 6.5 hard to find i found a used block put a rering kit in it put everything back together as best as i knew and bam it started and after about a min it clattered and crashed then noise quite but started to shutter and miss three push rods are bent flattened and brock i was told the injection timing was off how do i know which way to move the gear:confused:

Yukon6.2
08-25-2013, 19:56
Hi Wolf
Welcome to the page.
If you can turn wrenches,there are people here to help you.
This should be in the 6.5 forum,I'm sure someone will move it.
My quess with the info in your post is the timing gears and chain are out a tooth.There is very little clearance between the piston and valves.
But with an unknown block,there is a chance it has been machined and the valves are touching the pistons.That can also be fixed with thicker gaskets.
To check the timing i believe you will have to take water pump back off to see the marks.You may be able to pull number 1 injector and get the piston to top dead center,and then check the valve timing.Those are the routes i would take.
Someone who has done it will hopefully chime in and give a clearer picture.
Lot's of help here if you search,and ask questions.
Good Luck Thomas

greatwhite
08-29-2013, 05:27
My advice would be to find a military hummer engine "take out" and drop it in.

They go for for around 2 grand, but it is literally bolt it up and go.

Lots of guys have had good luck with a place called ted's trucks (google should find him).

You'll get the updated "optimizer" block and heads from the gent mentioned above. Big leap in reliability over anything you will find in a junkyard takeout....

sctrailrider
08-30-2013, 03:37
Ted's is out of sidemount 6.5's now and they don't know when or if they will have anymore. They do have a few 6.2 & center mount motors still....