PDA

View Full Version : Rear engine vibration

scottystills
08-17-2013, 20:58
Evening! Thought I'd check in with yet another 6.2 forum, can't quite seem to figure this one out and I've heard great things about your community!

Just finished swapping my 700/208 out for an SM465/205. Put in half the dash today and finished the ignition wiring and fired her up for the first time in about a year. No major problems other than some airlock which was a quick fix.

What's happening is I've got a light tick/knock at the back of the engine, and a pretty solid vibration, both coming from the back of the engine, both are RPM dependant, and both are there whether the clutch is in or not.

Anyone run into anything like this before?

Robyn
08-18-2013, 09:35
Welcome to TDP :)

I will assume that the tick and the vibes were not there before the swap.

What flywheel, pressure plate etc did you use.

The only parts you can use are from either a 6.2 or 6.5

Now, these engine are externally balanced and must have the right parts.

The flywheel should be indexed to the crank by a dowel pin, plus the bolt pattern is specific and will only fit one way.

WAS/IS THE pressure plate new or used ???

More info please

Glad you found us
We will certainly try to help get rid of the bad vibes.

Missy

joeq
08-18-2013, 10:06
Also, how about a little more history of the motor. New rebuild, or an existing good running engine? How's the oil pressure? You wouldn't think it's a brg problem, would you?
Another welcome.

scottystills
08-19-2013, 01:13
Well, thanks for the quick replies! Glad to be here and I'll definitely be cruising through here a lot more often once I've got my build up and running.

So here's the background. 6.2 stock in a 1988 K5 Blazer. Has the Banks Sidewinder kit. Everything was running great until last April the 700r4 blew up.

I think I had the epiphany late last night though. The clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch, throwout/pilot bearings) all new. Here's the kicker. I put all the new stuff on with the flywheel that came with the sm465/205 ORIGINALLY ATTACHED TO A 350.

Now I'm the first to explain that I'm not always the brightest star in the sky, but BLARG! From my understanding, the 350 flywheel is 1 tooth less on the starter ring, and it's balanced differently (and half the weight) of the flywheel for the 6.2.

I went on Kijiji this morning and got to searching, found a sweet deal on the flywheel I needed, plus the 6.2 it's attached to, surrounded by another bellhousing and 465. Plus the shifters/links/etc. $500 picked it up this afternoon. Figured why settle for $200 for a flywheel if I can spend more than double for a bunch of spare parts lol!

My penance will be likely ridicule and the pain in the a$$ of uninstalling and reinstalling my drivetrain (that I just finished installing) next weekend. Actually worse than that, have to be travelling for work this week so I'll have 5 days in NC to think about the blunder.

Would you agree this is the likely culprit?

john8662
08-19-2013, 11:35
sounds like it!

joeq
08-19-2013, 15:09
As Missy mentioned above, Externally balanced vs internally. I'm curious about the ticking/clunking noise tho.

scottystills
08-19-2013, 20:40
As Missy mentioned above, Externally balanced vs internally. I'm curious about the ticking/clunking noise tho.

Can't say for sure. I'll see if I find anything when I pull it down when I get back end of the week.