PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leaking from overflow reservoir

kwestov
08-13-2013, 23:18
Greetings:My 2005 D-Max started pushing coolant from the overflow reservoir. I replaced the cap - still leaking. I checked for bubbles in reservoir - no bubbles seen. I checked the firmness of the upper radiator hose - not firm and easily squished. I've read plenty of threads that speak to head gaskets. I'm just hoping for some crazy miracle resulting something like a cooler stereo system solving the problem.... Any thoughts on what else could be causing the problem are appreciated.

kwestov
08-14-2013, 20:22
Yeah, it's fatal. 114K miles and blown head gasket. $4,600 to repair. Not cool. Both of my D-Maxs have proven very disappointing reliability wise. I'll miss everything else about them. Trading it in for a gasser. Farewell my fellow diesel enthusiasts.

More Power
08-22-2013, 13:18
Without some history about its use since new, it's difficult to comment on the problem(s) you're having. Youtube is filled with all manner of diesel pickups that are being grossly abused on the street, some are on the dyno making insane power, some are pulling sleds or running at the track. When one of those trucks loses a head gasket, I say the owner should expect some sort of problems.

On the other hand, we hear from fewer mild-mannered Duramax owners who never installed any performance products, yet experienced problems. I understand their frustrations.

Jim

EdHale
08-23-2013, 03:58
My leaking coolant problem turned out to be a cracked coolant reservoir. Whew, dodged that bullet.

Kennedy
08-23-2013, 07:41
LLY head gasket issues are not too uncommon. That job here will cross $5k in a hurry, BUT we skim cut the heads, use studs, replace thermostats and water pump, glow plugs, etc. We have yet to have one come back with a repeat fail.

We DO NOT use the latest hecho en mexico GM head gaskets with the individual layers exposed to the fire.