PDA

View Full Version : Latest and Greatest FSD/PMD

Hubert
05-09-2005, 13:34
What is the the latest and greatest FSD/PMD No. As of May 2005.

Is it still #34583? How old is #35976? Any part numbers to avoid?

Not sure about Sol-D yet. The price is a bit high for me right now. I also am concered about the low Voltage no start reported by 2 members. With some of the connectivity and ground problems on these trucks I would be asking for trouble. Living in warmer climate I might be able to crank up with weak batteries so I feel better knowing the FSD wouldn't cause a problem. Lots of other good indorsements very tempting.

Option 1. A local GM dealer offered the wholesale price. Comes with a new wiring harness.

Option 2. Stanadyne distributor but its a little more money. No middle man and more money kind of ****es me off though. Also comes with new wires.
Theoretically its their part it should be the best.

Which is another question does the mfg date of the pmd matter if its latest part No. ???

Option 3. Ebay - A gamble but I could afford 2 or 3 . Then there's I might screw one up and a back up feels like good idea right now. Any good questions to make it a little safer purchase.

Hubert

damork
05-09-2005, 15:21
Not sure what today's price is, but last July I bought one for about $210 delivered to the door from www.teamchev.com. (http://www.teamchev.com.)

twaddle
05-09-2005, 23:06
Hi Hubert,
I would consider the Sol-D unit especially if you are considering keeping the truck as they are offering a 5 year warranty on their units.

Considering the unreliability of the Stanadyne units I have gone for a Sol-D unit for my Suburban and, So far so good.

Good luck what ever you go for.

Regards

jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

GMC Hauler
05-10-2005, 13:31
Hubert,

Here is a link to a current thread that explains what has happened and what should happen with the SOL-D Click Here. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007494)

I had the privledge of doing a review recently on one of these FSD's mounted on a heat sink. The article is available here. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/pmdisolatorr.htm)

I know I recieved mine for free, but the 7 year warranty that Bill offers, and the fact that he has only had a handful of returns in that time says something for his design.

Hope this helps.

Hubert
05-11-2005, 03:27
Sorry I know the PMD is beat to death.

Both Stanadyne and Sol-D have made revisions to their units. I see 2 numbers different places for the GM/Stanadyne unit. Which is the latest and greatest. Did they change the part number with revisions or does date of mfg mean more?

I called a local diesel shop (Stanadyne distributor) and he gave me one price then said oops wait there is a later version of it and up went the price. ????

From what I read IMHO either will work as long as its a good heat sink & extention and it stays cool.

JeffsTowTruck
05-11-2005, 03:48
NOT SURE ABOUT THE ONES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I GOT THE ONE JOHN KENNEDY SELLS. I LIKED THE COOLING FINS. AND FELT THEY WOULD HELP MORE SO THAN A FLAT PIECE OF METAL. MY TRUCK WAS GIVING ME PROBLEMS AND ONCE I PUT IT ON EVERYTHING WAS FIXED. IT HAS BEEN ABOUT A YEAR AND HAVE HAD NO TROUBLE. IT IS AN EASY INSTALL AND CAME WITH EVERYTHING, THE EXT. PIG TAIL AND THE RESISTORS.
YOU DO HAVE TO CHECK OUT THEM ALL BY DOING YOUR HOMEWORK. SEEMS TO BE A LOT TO CHOOSE FROM..