PDA

View Full Version : best glow plugs

Dvldog8793
08-03-2013, 08:05
Howdy
Is there anything new in the world of glow plugs? All the posts and articles are a few years dated and I am replacing the plugs in my 6.2 and 6.5. just wondering what current opinion is....
Thanks!

Vin82k3500
08-03-2013, 13:06
I dont trust the aftermarket when it comes to parts for my diesel I used the ac 60 g in my 6.2 that I had and since it had the earlier glow plug setup when it failed

I just ran a momentary switch in the dash to ground the glow plug relay on the fender I hold it for 6 seconds cold it fires right up still using that setup with my new 6.5 that is in the truck now

not sure what is better but I know they are said to be self regulating which probably makes them a great choice for my setup

my fear of a knockoff is that it may swell and give lots of grief replacing so I just stuck with the ac Im happy with them I had considered the ones on the internet but I am afraid of a headache

More Power
08-03-2013, 13:50
I tend to agree with Vin82, but I'll add this...

Any good and recommended glow plug should have been torture tested by someone you trust - not the vendor. We did that for a variety of glow plugs some time back. A torture test should include a timed photo sequence that shows how the plug lit up for the first 10 seconds, and then describe the heating process over the next few minutes.

Any good plug will transition from cold to red/orange quickly and then not burn out for several minutes of continuous power. A failure of any kind is reason to not use or recommend that particular plug.

Some time ago, we tested a series of the then currently available glow plugs. The ones we tested were chosen because of availability and reputation. All passed the test. The quibbles came from the quickness of how fast they transitioned to red/orange during the first seconds of operation.

The AC-60G remains among those that were given a top choice. It's available wherever GM/ACD parts are sold and it works great. It lights off a little slower than others we tested, but the 60 still remains a top pick.

If you're in doubt about the quality of some off-brand plug, buy one. Clamp it lightly into a shop vise, and power it using jumper cables and a fully charged car battery. It should transition from red to orange in 5-6 seconds and not burn out in at least a minute of continuous burn. AC-60G plugs were tested when they first arrived on the market, and I know of one that burned for 8 (eight) solid hours. That test was performed at a GM dealership in Canada. I don't have the patience for that.... ;)

Jim

Dvldog8793
08-04-2013, 19:08
I have a paper copy of the old test that was done, just wondering if there was anything "new-and-improved" The 60g was kinda the old standby.
Thanks !!!

greatwhite
08-05-2013, 12:14
I run Bosch duraterms. Have been for the last 3 years of Canadian winter.

Works good, no complaints.

More Power
08-05-2013, 12:22
I have a paper copy of the old test that was done, just wondering if there was anything "new-and-improved" The 60g was kinda the old standby.
Thanks !!!

Bosch has a plug they introduced a few years ago that should be OK. I haven't tested one. Otherwise, there are quite a few plugs being advertised on the net. I suspect most are all the same, just different branding. In addition, China has gotten into the game with cheap prices and agressive pushing by small vendors here in North America.

If any of them want their plugs tested, send me one or more examples to photograph and torture test. I'll be fair. Jim