PDA

View Full Version : 700R4 and 4L60E parts compatability

argo
07-26-2013, 19:30
I have recently acquired a 1997 Suburban for parts. It was my in-laws' car and I removed the trans for them, got it rebuilt at a reputable local shop, and then I re-installed it. It went a total of 1,800 miles before they got a new car and let me have it. I swapped the interior with the one on my 1993 Suburban (not all of it, but the seats, overhead lcd tv/dvd console, seatbelts, etc.)

I have a 1985 TH-700R4 in my 1993 Suburban that came with the 1985 6.2L J code diesel I started out with for the diesel conversion. The trans works fine but feels flimsy. The 4L60E on the other hand feels awesome. The 4L60E got all upgraded parts to make it equal to a 4L65E. What I want to know is if I can take all the upgraded guts out of the 4L60E and put them in to my 700R4 case. If so, I'll swap it over and then I will get a TransGo Shift improver/correcter kit for the '85 valvebody and I will use the superior (and also brand new) torque converter from the 97 on my 93. This in theory should upgrade the '85 trans to a "4L60", if I am not mistaken. I am not an automatic transmission expert, but I can swap guts around. Is there a trans expert that can tell me if this will definitely work or not?

convert2diesel
07-26-2013, 20:16
The big difference is in the "E" designation. The 4L60E is an electronic transmission while the 700 uses the throttle valve for control. In order to use the 4L60, you are going to have to use a standalone controller and install a TPS on the pump plus rig up an electronic tach for the unit to work.

I like the Beauman controller, not only for the price (around 500-600 bucks) but that it is so flexible. Programmed from your laptop. It will also have outputs for your tach and speedo without having to go through the vehicle speed sensor buffer, and you can change the VSS settings through the computer without having to change speedo gears. Lots of other choices including one from the GM High Performance parts catalogue.

Good luck

Bill

argo
07-26-2013, 20:36
Thank you. That I am aware of, however. I want to know if I can take all the rotating parts and swap them.

DmaxMaverick
07-26-2013, 21:08
Many parts are similar, and some are the same. Late 700 and early 60 cases are the same casting, but they are machined different. Most of the internal hard parts are not interchangeable. Some parts are, but not what you want.

As Convert said, there is an electronic solution. There's also a mechanical kit for it, but it won't work "automatic" any more (manual shifting).

argo
07-27-2013, 04:29
Aww crud. I was hoping to be able to keep it without computer controls, but if not, then I'll look in to the controllers. I suppose I will have to come up with a way to provide a tach signal.

john8662
07-27-2013, 10:07
sounds like what you're doing is a rebuild anyways on the TH700.

But, hoping to use the already-purchased parts from the 60E.

Why not just rebuild the 700R4 using all the updated parts you can get online to beef one of them up?

You can still use your torque converter. Then sell the rest of the 60E.