PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for oil cooler line changeout

GMC Hauler
05-09-2005, 09:02
In my preps for my upcoming move, I am left at the last job: replacing my leaking oil cooler lines. I have searched the boards for all the pertinent information.

I have purchased a larger cooler similar to the one offered by DSG, and will either have a local hydraulic shop make my lines, or buy Greg's lines.

I am still left with a few items that I need to clear up.

Are there any special tools (socket) requreed to get the oil filter adapter off?

I purchased a large O ring for the right angle adapter. I keep reading in various posts that they're are two O rings. Is this true?

Any last tips or lesons learned that might help my instllation go smoothly?

Thanks.

MJEasly
05-09-2005, 09:55
What size cooler are you using? I found a Tru-Cool 11x11x1.5 with 1/2 NPT ends that looks promising for my K2500 Suburban. But, it doesn't look like it is going to fit in the original location without some creative engineering.

G. Gearloose
05-09-2005, 10:50
Three o-rings, I'm pretty certain. Two on the bolt.
Make certain the front propshaft can compress enough to remove it, before you're into the project, else it adds a lot of extra time to free it up.
The splines can easily rot together because it doesn't get exercised like a live axle, and the factory grease can harden up so that it doesn't flow out of the way.

GMC Hauler
05-09-2005, 13:57
I believe that is the same cooler I found. It is from true cool also. same 1/2 NPT fittings, 29K btu rating.