PDA

View Full Version : 225*f tranny oil temp.

spongebob
07-12-2013, 13:35
i carry a moderate about of weight in my truck...i installed a ranch hand front bumper that had no provisions for cooling the trans oil...i added 8 holes in the bumper, but when i climb a grade or go up a canyon road, i get a 225*f temp...do i need a larger capacity oil sump?

normally on a straight and level road I'm reading 160-180*f.

More Power
07-12-2013, 13:48
Select Tow/Haul the next time you make this run. T/H will keep the torque converter locked in 2nd gear and higher. This can go a long way to limit the amount of heat being generated in the transmission.

Let us know what happens.

Jim

spongebob
07-12-2013, 18:43
so when i hit the grade, just hit the tow button??

DmaxMaverick
07-12-2013, 19:55
so when i hit the grade, just hit the tow button??

Yes. And depending on what you mean by "moderate weight", it may be a good idea in any case. As Jim said, locking the TC early and often will help keep the temps down. It may also help with economy, too.

Mark Rinker
07-13-2013, 07:02
Select Tow/Haul the next time you make this run. T/H will keep the torque converter locked in 2nd gear and higher. This can go a long way to limit the amount of heat being generated in the transmission.

Let us know what happens.

Jim

Great idea. This should help, but I doubt that it will solve the problem entirely.

I found that even moderate blocking of the air flow over the tranny cooler can drastically affect trans temps. For example, a snowplow that is run on the truck at highway speeds, without angling, can cause similar temps - even on a cold and snowy Minnesota day.

In the summer, the OVERSIZE LOAD sign required by DOT, even in mesh form, was too much restriction while towing boats. I cut the sign to allow for unrestricted airflow through my 2009 bumper and over the cooling stack to correct this.

I'd guess your ranchhand bumper is the problem. Can you relocate the cooler into a direct, unrestricted airflow?

spongebob
07-15-2013, 01:33
no the cooler is where it is....the deflector is still there..and on a regular straight road it runs normal..160-80*..

More Power
07-15-2013, 12:07
The only time I've ever seen high(er) trans temps was when we were traveling between Deadwood SD and Mt Rushmore while towing a travel-trailer. It's a slow winding 2-lane with a couple fairly steep but not too long grades. On that day, the ambient was 105F, which added to the temp issue. T/H helped a lot.

Jim

gary_lucas
07-23-2013, 09:31
I read this thread last week before we set off on a 3 hours drive in heavy rushhour traffic with our 9000lb 5th wheel.

Within 15 minutes of hitting the highway in stop and go traffic my tran temp (via edge module) was 239.

I put it into tow-haul mode and it started declining, got to remember to do that when I have that trailer, it didn't top 215 for the rest of the trip.