PDA

View Full Version : Some money to spend :)

brenm1
07-10-2013, 19:39
hey guys, been a couple weeks so here's a little update.

I unfortunately spun a rod bearing in my beautiful 1985 k20 6.2 4x4.. The engine itself only has 140kish original miles with headers to dual exhaust and minimum rust..

here's the kicker!!

my wife gave me an allowance of $6000...

putting the rig in the shop asap, but am pondering hard about what I want done.. Here is what I was thinking..

total rebuild from heads down, slight bore, port n polish. Used banks sidewinder, junk yard intercooler from another diesel, and last but not least, a pair of stacks..

ofcourse I will buy the parts needed online, and through the junk yard, so basically paying for the shops outrageous labor.. Wouldn't mind getting the fuel pump rebuilt, or replaced along with the fuel lines..

the tranny was rebuilt under a year ago and still under warrenty.

any suggestions or input? Would love to hear your ideas too!

More Power
07-11-2013, 08:34
Sounds like fun!

Before spending any money, I'd do a tear down to find out everything there is to know about the condition of the engine - cracks, overbore necessary, and general condition.

Once you know that, then the plan can begin.

Let us know... Jim

Vin82k3500
07-11-2013, 09:36
I agree with Jim tear it down and see what you have to start with I ran into some blocks with web cracks in the mains and saw some that the deck was badly damaged form improper and excessive starting with aids

where the precups had pounded the block and one even made its way into the cylinder

if shes clean when you get it apart and dont need much shes a keeper then what you want to do is endless

food for thought I have a 6.2 on my back burner since I didnt have the time to play around with used I put a brand new p400 long block in mine but that was a bit more than your 6000

anyway my plans for mine is that I have an 82 redblock crack free and clean low mile was stuck from setting

I plan to polish the crank mic it out get a kit ordered to spec.s only bore as needed the big upgrade would be the heads and injetcion pump I got a set of t cup heads from a 93 6.5 td and a db2831-4911 pump that I plan on using I also have a banks setup but I think after doing lots of homework I am going with an hx35 turbo

I have decided this as that the gm turbo wont work so well with my pickup and the banks non wastegated does not make much power on low end wich is where I want it other wise I think the banks setup is PISSAH

no plans for Intercooler on my truck no room for it

and last but not least head studs and stud and girdle bottom end and fluid damper balancer I been shopping ebay for most of my stuff its slowly adding near the cost of a new engine

but it will be an experience and it will be all I need from this truck heck an n/a 6.2 stock is enough for me

maybey some good ideahs for you and I have to say the best upgrade I did to my truck was the manual trans as far as seat of the pants performance

Yukon6.2
07-12-2013, 08:20
no plans for Intercooler on my truck no room for it

Hi Guys
I got an intercooler from a 99 dodge and was able to fit it in front of the rad in my 90 crewcab,which is the same body as your trucks.I had to cut out a bunch of the rad support,but reinforced it with some square tubing.I had to change one outlet on the intercooler.But it all fits behind the grill leaving the truck looking stock.
Thomas

Vin82k3500
07-12-2013, 09:25
Yukon there is no room in my truck its radiator from headlights to headlights only option would be to put in a smaller radiator then maybe cutting would be an option

Yukon6.2
07-12-2013, 09:33
Hi Vin
There is room,like i said my truck is the same as yours.An Ac cooler may change that,but i think there would be room for that as well.
I was a bit worried about the prewarming of the air as it makes it's way to the rad.But we don't see the hot weather up here that some others get.I wanted an excuse to get an alumminum racing rad,so if heat was a problem that was going to be the next $$ to spend.
My goal was to keep stock apperance and the way i did it it will remain stock looking anless to look close behind the grill.
Thomas

Vin82k3500
07-12-2013, 09:38
Yukon there is no room in my truck its radiator from headlights to headlights only option would be to put in a smaller radiator then maybe cutting would be an option

take that back it will go on the right side where the air intake is but is it worth the extra work thats my question

my turbo is sitting in the back room since I really dont see need for it more of a want but now that I can no longer use the truck commercially due to new dot laws I will likely never put a turbo on it though at times it would seem fun

its still pretty fun n/a it still make the wife say slow down or if shes behind me and I get after it and take off did you do that on purpose and I say do what and she says blow all that black smoke lol

Vin82k3500
07-12-2013, 09:46
yes I have ac the truck is loaded other then I swapped the th400 in favor of an nv4500 that gave me lots more power and much better cruising speeds