PDA

View Full Version : ATS specs?

dixiepc
07-08-2013, 13:10
Does anybody have any specs on the T04B that ATS used in their 6.2 kits?

dixiepc
07-08-2013, 14:04
I found that it has a .60 A/R compressor housing and a .96 A/R turbine housing. And it was made by AiResearch, which is Garrett.

dixiepc
07-10-2013, 14:00
By the way the compressor wheel is a 55mm/70mm.
And the turbine wheel is a 64mm/74mm.
The compressor inlet is 3" i.d.
And the compressor outlet is 1.75" i.d.

john8662
07-10-2013, 14:16
They call the turbine wheel a "P" Trim wheel btw.

on the 82-87 style setup, it's a basic TO4B Turbo in an On-Center T4 Turbine housing 4-bolt downpipe outlet, primarily a .96 a/r, but also came with a .81 a/r turbine.

Good to know the compressor wheel specifications... Haven't measured one.

J

dixiepc
07-10-2013, 15:00
It's an old Garrett AiResearch T04B. What are your thoughts on the turbine A/R? Also what does "P" trim mean?

dixiepc
07-11-2013, 08:32
Does anyone have an intake plenum for an old ATS turbo setup? Also is there someone out there that has any ATS literature, like instruction sheets or manuals?

john8662
07-11-2013, 10:05
There are two ATS Setup's.

What version do you have? You'll need to post pictures of what you have and I can ID it for you.

P trim is just a name for the size wheel, instead of calling it a certain sized mm inducer/exducer size wheel.

Turbine housing size thoughts? .96 a/r is too large for a vehicle with higher gears and overdrive transmission. It's ideal for a truck that's got no overdrive, with 4.10 gears in the back (engine is reved up).

J

dixiepc
07-11-2013, 10:32
The first picture is what I have, and the second is what I hope to get it looking like.

dixiepc
07-11-2013, 10:38
I do have a 4.10 gear, but I'm running a 700R4 with 35" tall tires. I'm only making around 1800 rpm's at 65 mph. Do you think that it would be possible to get a .81 A/R turbine housing. I'm already having trouble finding a plenum that is not chopped up.

I almost forgot what truck that I'm working with. This truck will have 4.56 gears with the same transmission and tires.

john8662
07-11-2013, 11:46
Is that your setup up top?

Do you have the other broken part off the upper plenum? I'd suggest welding/rebuilding it.

It's a unique piece.

Won't find one of those used I suspect.

This is the 82-87 truck, 82-91 suburban & blazer style setup. ATS did make a 1988-1993 6.2 setup that fit the GMT400 style trucks.

I don't know whether this will fit in your truck or not.

I'd suggest removing your passenger's side exhaust manifold and installing just the manifold on your engine and studying what will clear the frame etc. It looks like it might because of how the crossover pipe is made (comes in through the back instead of the front like the Banks).

Do this before trying to figure out how to get an upper plenum, You may find out this just won't fit your Suburban being a 1992 GMT400.

I'd try the .96 turbine. The .81's are easily attainable as a generic On-Center T4 4-bolt downpipe for a P-Trim Wheel.

If it's too laggy and too little boost is when you'd step up to the .81. The .81 gives you the ability to just lean on the throttle while in overdrive with a locked converter and actually make more boost. The .96 will just stay almost constant, until the transmission shifts down, then you'll get more boost.

Here is what it's supposed to look like setup.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/506/medium/Final.jpg

dixiepc
07-11-2013, 12:16
That's all of the plenum that I have. I have a CTS plenum that's basically the same. But I had rather not use it if I don't have to. I am working on a 1984 Chevy 4x4 pickup with this setup.

john8662
07-11-2013, 12:39
I am working on a 1984 Chevy 4x4 pickup with this setup.

That would have been good to know from the beginning, instead of trying to figure you were installing this in your 1992 Suburban...

You can use the plenum you have, just get you a 3" 90 fitting to attach to the turbo and some 3" exhaust tubing and make an air intake with a filter on the end of it. The main part missing off your plenum is the clean air side into the turbo.

dixiepc
07-11-2013, 17:50
Sorry about the confusion, sometimes I forget which truck I'm talking about. Here's a picture of the CTS stuff that I have. I really want to use a plenum where I can use the factory breather if possible. I have a 4" cold air intake straight from the front to the breather now, so I want to keep that. That CTS manifold is for a T3 turbo where as the ATS manifold is for T4 turbos.

john8662
07-11-2013, 21:16
Thanks for sharing the PIC of the CTS setup.

I thought I'd seen them all, and then there was this setup.

Looks like an ATS knockoff in design.

I liked the ATS setup for the 80's, it had good response because of how the manifold was constructed and all. But maybe a lot of that was the exhaust housing I had with my setup, which I sadly sold years ago (regretfully).

I'll keep an eye for one of those plenums from an ATS though.

you could certainly build you one from scratch though. Have you seen the BAE 6.2 Setup? It has a plenum adapter made of generic stuff, not a casting like the ATS was. I can find a pic of that and upload it to give you some building ideas.

J

john8662
07-11-2013, 21:44
here ya go:

You could totally build one of these upper plenums and pipe it to the ATS stuff.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/506/BAE_Turbo_Setup.jpg

dixiepc
07-12-2013, 06:26
The CTS manifold is basically the same without the exhaust part and with a T3 flange. The CTS plenum seems to be nicer to me, as it doesn't have provisions for the EGR cast into it like the ATS one does. The BAE is a new one for me, never seen that before. The manifold looks like a Banks design.
You mentioned an exhaust housing, what kind of exhaust housing were you talking about. I would really like to have an ATS plenum just to have a complete set, so if you could find one I would greatly appreciate it.
By the way, CTS is Canada Turbo Systems.

dixiepc
07-15-2013, 17:31
I found some sources for different A/R turbine housings, but there all seem very pricey. Do you know of a source that might have reasonable prices? Something tells me that I might need a .81 A/R housing instead of the .96 A/R housing that I have.

Subzilla
07-16-2013, 05:29
You bought the kit I almost bought! Was going to put it on my K5 but decided to wait on some funds.

I do have the ATS on my 83 and somewhere I obtained copies of the original ATS literature. I'll see if I can put my hands on it and let you know.

dixiepc
07-16-2013, 07:28
Sub,

I really appreciate you looking for the literature. One of the things that I need to figure out is where to put the hole in the valve cover for the turbo drain.
Does you 83' have a 700R4 and what gear ratio is it. I'm a little concerned that the A/R of my turbine housing might be a little large for my setup.
On second thought, I can't keep it straight which truck that I'm working on, I just plugged in the numbers at http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html to see where I'm at, and it might be just right. The calculator shows 1992 rpm at 65 mph, so maybe my A/R will be just fine.
What kind of mileage does your 83' get? Do you have any pictures?

DmaxMaverick
07-16-2013, 08:23
Sub,

I really appreciate you looking for the literature. One of the things that I need to figure out is where to put the hole in the valve cover for the turbo drain.
Does you 83' have a 700R4 and what gear ratio is it. I'm a little concerned that the A/R of my turbine housing might be a little large for my setup.
On second thought, I can't keep it straight which truck that I'm working on, I just plugged in the numbers at http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html to see where I'm at, and it might be just right. The calculator shows 1992 rpm at 65 mph, so maybe my A/R will be just fine.
What kind of mileage does your 83' get? Do you have any pictures?

When these turbo system kits were originally designed, the national speed limit was 55 MPH.

dixiepc
07-16-2013, 09:07
Dmax,

Tell us what you know about these setups.

DmaxMaverick
07-16-2013, 09:40
Not much, really. I was never an ATS fan. In my experience, the Banks systems made a little better power, and lot better economy. All this with unmodified systems, out of the box. I haven't visited the turbo kits since the 80's, and all my 6.2's since have been N/A.

The reason for the comment is, you can optimize your configuration for 65 MPH, but unless your only need/use for a turbo is highway cruising, it may be a moot point. If you will be towing, especially large, most of your driving won't be at 65 MPH. Highway cruising doesn't require much of a power increase unless there are significant grades involved.

My suggestion is this:
If you have the parts to complete an installation, use what you have, and drive it. The major part of the conversion will be getting the system installed. Then, a later turbo swap will be simple. If the power range is less than optimal for your needs, make the changes after you have some sort of baseline. You may find it's perfect with what you have, or a complete waste of time, effort and money if you make changes before giving it a try.

dixiepc
07-16-2013, 09:54
Thanks Dmax, that's what I'm going to do. I live in a mountainous area, so I'm always going up and down hills. I just need a little more power to make the climbs eaiser. A little more power would help in traffic also. I don't want to make more than 2 or 3 psi at cruise, and I never tow anything.

Subzilla
07-16-2013, 10:34
The hole goes right dead in the middle of the valve cover. This puts the drain right between the rockers.

83, 700r4, 4.1 gears, 35" tires. Not sure on the specs of my turbo but in OD, I can push on the pedal and see about 2 lbs of boost. Once it downshifts, the boost jumps up of course. Pulling a trailer on a hill, it would spike to 10 or 11 lbs.

Maybe my tach adjustment is off but I'm seeing 2000 rpm's at 60ish. With my old engine, I was seeing about 17 - 18 mpg all around. Just cranked the key on the newly installed engine this past Saturday so we'll see what this one gets. Crankshaft broke on the old engine at 340k miles.

You will love the extra power. It ain't gonna nail you to the seat but it does make it faster than a turtle stuck in molasses. Actually makes it fun to drive. Wish I would have done it years ago. Added my kit about 3 years ago.

dixiepc
07-16-2013, 11:25
Sub,

My tires are suppose to be 37" but in my experience tires are always about 2" shorter that what they say, so 35" tires are normally only 33". I find that by marking the tire and the ground, on a nice flat surface, then roll the the truck until the mark hits the ground again, I measure that distance and do the math to see what the actual height is. I ran your numbers through the calculator and it shows 1753 rpm at 60 mph with your setup.

Your experience and mileage are encouraging. My setup puts me about 100 rpm higher across the board. Hopefully this will put me where I need to be.

Is the hole in the valve cover in the center across the narrow width also? This kit didn't come with a grommet for the valve cover but I assume that there should be one there. Boy I hope that you can find that literature.

Thanks

Subzilla
07-16-2013, 11:28
Yes, hole should be in center of narrow width also. I also had to locate a grommet. Think I found it at the parts store.

dixiepc
07-16-2013, 11:46
I posted a picture of the tag that's on my turbo on you other thread.

Are you a customer of a guy named Verlin in Pennsylvania? He told me that he had a customer in your neck of the wood that is running on almost straight WMO.

Subzilla
07-16-2013, 11:47
Yup, saw your picture, thanks! Nope, I don't use WMO - just WVO converted to biodiesel.

Subzilla
07-16-2013, 15:33
Found the ATS brochure and installation manual. Will take to work tomorrow to scan, then I can email it to you. Just pm me your email address. OR is there a way I can upload an 11 page document to this site?

dixiepc
07-16-2013, 17:05
PM sent. Thanks

DmaxMaverick
07-16-2013, 17:16
Found the ATS brochure and installation manual. Will take to work tomorrow to scan, then I can email it to you. Just pm me your email address. OR is there a way I can upload an 11 page document to this site?

If you'd like, I'll look into copyright issues, and can upload it here as a PDF. You can email your scans to me, and I can compile/convert it. You can't upload a file that size to the forum, so I'll have to do it.

Subzilla
07-17-2013, 08:16
Manual emailed to both of you. Copyright issues? I keep hearing that ATS won't even acknowledge they even made a kit for the 6.2. Almost like they are ashamed of it....

DmaxMaverick
07-17-2013, 09:33
Manual emailed to both of you. Copyright issues? I keep hearing that ATS won't even acknowledge they even made a kit for the 6.2. Almost like they are ashamed of it....

That's what I'm finding. They have info about the other systems offered (6.9/7.3) at the same time, but don't acknowledge the 6.2. Interesting. The current mfg of "ATS" products is not the same company it was when the 6.2 systems were made, so they may not even know. Real rocket scientists!

I got the file. I'll upload it to the server and post the link in this thread after. I'm sure others will be interested.

dixiepc
07-17-2013, 10:26
Thanks Mark, I've read through it all. It's nice to have a little information about the stuff you have.

I really wish that I could find a good plenum that's not chopped up like mine.

dixiepc
07-19-2013, 15:51
Well, I mounted all my ATS stuff on an old engine that I have on a stand. The CTS plenum that I have will not line up with the ATS turbo. So I'll have to have an ATS plenum to make it work.

Dsimonl
10-20-2013, 08:21
i'm a new member here. i have a '91 Suburban with 6.2 and just acquired a complete ATS kit for it. Would it be possible for someone to email the literature for it? I'd really appreciate it!

DmaxMaverick
10-20-2013, 10:51
i'm a new member here. i have a '91 Suburban with 6.2 and just acquired a complete ATS kit for it. Would it be possible for someone to email the literature for it? I'd really appreciate it!

Here you go:

ATS Manual (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/media/ATS_Manual.pdf) (save)

Dsimonl
10-20-2013, 12:49
Thanks! That will make it much easier. How far did you increase the IP fuel rate to achieve proper EGT? the manual doesn't mention injectors. did you increase the pop pressure?

Subzilla
10-21-2013, 05:03
Depends on the engine condition and the current IP fuel meter setting. Assuming you have a pyrometer (EGT gauge), you just need to let this dictate your adjustment. Put the kit on and take it out for a good hill climb to see where your max EGT's hit. For the 6.2, seems the recommended max is 1100 to 1200. If you're nowhere close to that, turn up the IP. Then test it again.

If you have fresh injectors, there's nothing to do to them. If it's been awhile since you replaced them, I would do it now as the ATS exhaust manifold will make it more challenging to swap out injectors.

You'll love the turbo on the 6.2. Put mine on 3 years ago. Had my Sub for 17 years without it and regret not doing it sooner. It really made the tank so much easier and fun to drive now. It can now accelerate up hills instead of just barely maintaining a current speed.

Let us know if you have questions.

dixiepc
10-21-2013, 13:49
Dsimonl,

I would like to talk to you about your ATS setup if I could. My email is dixiepc@windstream.net

Thanks

Dsimonl
10-21-2013, 16:45
Email sent :D

dixiepc
01-10-2014, 20:31
Update:

I found a plenum over the holidays, got it cleaned up and coated.

Here are some pictures:

Yukon6.2
01-10-2014, 21:54
Nice:D:D
What did you coat the exhaust manifold with?
Thomas

dixiepc
01-10-2014, 22:20
I used VHT Flameproof aluminum.

john8662
01-14-2014, 12:29
Looks good, where did you end up finding a plenum?

dixiepc
01-14-2014, 13:56
Looks good, where did you end up finding a plenum?

I got it from the guy that you were trying to help get a turbo together awhile back. He wound up getting a HX35 and it didn't line up with the ATS plenum. I traded him the cut plenum that I had and paid the shipping both ways. He is in NorCal.