PDA

View Full Version : hideous knock and squeel coming from engine!!

brenm1
06-11-2013, 17:58
hello all

I have a problem...

there is a LOUD squeel and tap tap tap coming from the driver side of the engine. The squeel is not a belt squeel, but a high pitch intermittent squeek.. Truck runs and drives, but now has a very rough shaking idle. the squeel goes away with engine revs, but the knock stays, and changes speed with rpm. The truck is a 1985 k20 4x4 with 140k miles. I just bought the truck, and noticed that it was dry of oil when I first noticed the squeek.. I changed the oil and filter and still it knocks and squeels.. I've only put 40 miles on this truck...

please help!

More Power
06-11-2013, 19:14
Do you mean there was no oil in the crankcase?

If so, your engine may have a spun bearing - causing the sounds....

Jim

brenm1
06-11-2013, 19:19
a little less than 2 quarts when I drained it.

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2013, 19:48
2 qts. low, or you only drained 2 qts? The difference is life and death, for the engine.

sctrailrider
06-12-2013, 04:11
If you only drained 2 qt out then I think you spun bearings, 2 qt's will not be enough for the pump to pick it up.....

Take the old filter and cut it and see if metal is inside it....

brenm1
06-12-2013, 07:46
I'll take a look and let y'all know

DmaxMaverick
06-12-2013, 07:54
2 qts. is enough for the pump to pick up (it only takes about a pint in the sump). Problem is, the oil will quickly overheat, aerate, and not return back to the sump to be pumped again once running. The dynamic capacity of the system is probably about 2 qts. (a SWAG), which means the sump will quickly dry up after a start.

brenm1
06-13-2013, 17:57
ugh. ...

I do believe I spun a rod bearing... God save me...

Yukon6.2
06-13-2013, 20:27
Bummer
How deep have you been in an engine befor?
Have you pulled the filter and cut it open to look for metal?
Thomas

sctrailrider
06-14-2013, 03:27
That's a shame......

At least post up some pics of the ol girl so we can see what she looks like....

brenm1
06-14-2013, 08:28
I've changed rod bearings on a 1960 Allis Chalmers diesel tracter from under neath by pulling the oil pan before..

is that possible on the 6.2? id rather not pull the engine until I'm ready for a turbo set up and so some porting and polishing.

brenm1
06-14-2013, 08:30
oil filter has metallic debree as well, and my mechanic brother in law says the squeel is the definite sign of a chewed bearing..

DmaxMaverick
06-14-2013, 09:54
It isn't as simple as just replacing a bearing, or two, or three. There will be collateral damage. Perhaps the crank, and a rod or three. The engine needs to be taken down to nuts and bolts, flushed, inspected and assembled clean. You'll need, at least, to replace the oil pump, and probably the cam bearings. The filter will catch all the stuff you can see, and some you can't, but it can't catch all of it, especially when it gets overwhelmed after a catastrophic failure, such as spun bearings. V engines will typically take out the rod journal and both rods when a bearing spins. There is no "in frame" option in a situation like this. If you were planning on a refresh later, well, later just became earlier.

joeq
06-14-2013, 18:20
How's your oil pressure? Do you have a gauge or idiot lite? If you've got a bad brg your oil pressure will be down. my truck has an 80lb gauge, and it would run from 80lbs cold, to the lowest being 40-50 lbs idling on a hot summer day.
I hope for your sake, it's not as bad as a bad brg. Good luck.

joeq
06-17-2013, 14:38
I guess the OP must be "excessively perturbed", and has probably jumped ship to Ford or Mopar.:mad:

DmaxMaverick
06-17-2013, 15:23
Sometimes our members will disappear for weeks, months, or even years at a time, for some reason that's really none of our business. They almost always seem to find their way back, though. We leave the light on for them.

joeq
06-17-2013, 17:18
"Hey, I resemble that!" OK, so I took a leave of absence, (for about 15 yrs). In my own defense, I got caught up with the wife, kids and home improvement stuff. Hopefully, I'll be a little more dedicated to you guys this time. It wasn't personal, you know.:)

DmaxMaverick
06-17-2013, 18:41
I know. Nothing to defend. Like I said, none of our business, and the light is always on.

joeq
06-17-2013, 20:06
Am I at Motel 6 or what?:D

sctrailrider
06-18-2013, 03:11
I can understand his predicament, I was looking for some pics of his truck as I am looking for one that needs a motor... if he wants to attempt selling it maybe he will post up some pics...

brenm1
06-21-2013, 14:47
sorry guys! oil pressure guage does not work unfortunately.. I'll get some pics up from my computer tomorrow, the site won't let me upload from my phone.

sorry for the delay, I just got over a bad bout of pleaurisy (respiratory infection). I was out of commission for a bit...

I'm not selling my rig lol, she's my new baby. I'll be hitting the problem head on this weekend. Going to pull the pan and check if ita for sure a bearing, in frame flush, and attempt to diagnose the extent of the damage.

I plan on buying an engine to build a turbo on later this year, and work on cosmetics until then.

joeq
06-21-2013, 19:27
Hope you get better soon. Summer is here. :)