PDA

View Full Version : High performance IP from Westers?

markrinker
05-07-2005, 10:09
I came across this at

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm

today. Anyone heard of this?

>>> 1996-2002 6.5 Turbo Diesel Custom Injection pump
Factory pump limit 80mm -- Performance pump 92mm

More Fuel for custom applications where performance is essential. Pump is new with PMD included. Remote mount PMD harnesses available from www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) <<<

They also have a 'race programming' chip advertised for '94-'95 trucks. Anyone running this with mods?

[ 05-07-2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Hubert
05-07-2005, 14:47
I don't know much about the innerds of these pumps but have read some stuff about custom mating a different ring thingamagig to the DS-4 for a larger output of fuel per pump stroke. I think it exceeds the output of a turned up older mech pump and gets all the technology advances and safety of the electronic controls. I guess someone has now gone into production.

Some one want to explain that better?

john8662
05-07-2005, 21:25
The 92MM pump sounds really promising, I don't know anyone thats running one, but I'd love to get my hands on one for my new engine. From what I've read they take a cam ring from a 5068 (94 model IP, one of the first) and install it into a 5521 late model pump and calibrate it for the 5521 specs with the older yet more aggressive cam ring.

My curiousity comes in asking what chip you HAVE to run in order to use this puppy...

[ 05-07-2005, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

markrinker
05-09-2005, 09:03
Bill Heath told me that his latest chip delivers fuel very near the max capability of the DS4 pump. I would think that no chip upgrade would be necessary, just enjoy the extra fuel and adjust boost accordingly to burn it. Just a guess, however.

As for the 1994 cam ring, I have a working '94 pump on the shelf from the motor I broke last year. My current motor is a 1998 with the original factory pump. How involved would it be to 'try this at home'???

Comments welcome from those in the know...

rjschoolcraft
05-09-2005, 09:14
Based on my correspondence with Wester's, a max fuel command for a stock pump will deliver about 79-80 mm^3 while a max command with his pump will deliver 92 mm^3. The fuel delivery is proportionally greater across the spectrum. If your chip commands 64 mm^3 max, you should expect somewhere around 70 mm^3 from the pump. Therefore, a chip upgrade is required to take full advantage of the pump.

I will be placing an order for one of these soon and will write about it...

markrinker
05-09-2005, 09:36
Does Wester's make a chip specifically for this hotrodded pump? I see they have one for the 6.5 call 'Race Programming'...although I don't know of any races that our 6.5's would win... smile.gif

matt-max
05-09-2005, 17:19
i have been running the race programming (with stock pump) in the tahoe since last fall. lyndon recently informed me that he has improved upon that program and is sending me out the latest/greatest to try. i will report on it when it has been sampled.

matt

markrinker
09-08-2005, 12:34
Thought I would revive this thread...anyone running Wester's combo 'race' chip and/or pump yet?

restoguy
09-12-2005, 09:12
I hope that someone can correct my thinking on this. As far as programming goes, do you really need special programming to use this pump effectively? Seems to me that because the fuel delivery us bumped across the board any aftermarket(or stock for that matter) programming would work just fine. You would just require less 'pedal' for the same fuel. I am very interested in an opinion from anyone running one of these pumps.