PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Gasket 93 6.5

PLD1082
06-10-2013, 03:54
My 93 GMC Pickup (4 X 4) is leaking oil in the front. I already replaced the front crankshaft seal, so I'm assuming its the oil pan seal. My question- can you drop the pan without pulling the motor or dropping the front axle? It appears that everything will clear, but I don't want to start this project and find out it's going to be much bigger than I expected. Thanks for the input.

john8662
06-10-2013, 08:34
You can get the pan off by dropping down the differential slightly. Just unbolt the front diff and let it slide down, it won't fall out of there. That will give you the clearance to remove the pan.

More Power
06-11-2013, 19:11
Alternately, you could remove one or both of the crossbolts from the motor mounts, then raise the engine a few inches. You'll need to remove the fan first, due to fan shroud interference if you decide to go that route.

And remember, these oil pans use a rubber seal at the semi-circular cutout at the back of the pan, but there is no other "gasket". The remainder of the pan is simply glued on with a bead of silicone gasket sealer. Make sure the mating surfaces are scaped clean and oil-free before applying the silicone.

Good luck,
Jim

HammerWerf
06-12-2013, 22:27
Depending where you find the leak coming from, it might be simpler ( relatively speaking) to remove the timing chain cover.

If the leak is from the front lip of the oil pan, where it bolts up to the timing chain cover, remove the timing chain cover ( lots of stuff in the way) but this can be worked on with out lifting the engine. That lip reseals really easily.

HammerWerf