PDA

View Full Version : Own Cheapo Exhaust Install Complete.

TurboDiverArt
10-03-2005, 17:39
Hi All,

Completed the

Herman_Bolger
10-03-2005, 18:27
We bought a kit, from ss diesel supply, 3.5" down pipe and 4" back, no cat and we put it up in about 2hrs. Then we took out the stock rear springs, and made our own air ride and trailing arm set up, had to take the newly installed exhaust off. We ended up cuting the exhaust pipe shorter and cutting the tail pipe so that it did not exit through the air bag.Hoping to have the tailpipe welded back together tomorow. We thought that we may as well not bothered with the kit, but even though we cut it all up, at least we had all the pipes to start with.
Now making all the trailing arms and panhard bar, that was a lot of cuting, stiching, recutting and welding. It looks cool, hope it works.

I like the list of "other toy's " you have, way cool.

twaddle
10-03-2005, 23:23
Hi Herman,
Have you had a chance to use the truck with the SS system and has it made any difference to the power, torque or fuel consumption?

Any change in noise levels?

Regards

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

TurboDiverArt
10-04-2005, 01:10
Originally posted by Herman Bolger:

I like the list of "other toy's " you have, way cool. Yeah, those are the real money pits....

Art.

sturgeon-phish
10-04-2005, 11:09
Put a Kennedy 3.5 on this weekend. Easier than I could of hoped for to install. The only mods was to shorten the transition pipe (expected). The system was more expensive than others I saw, but definately worth it unless you like laying on your back under your truck cussing and trying to make something fit or work out.

Herman_Bolger
10-04-2005, 17:02
Jim,

No, we are just now finishing putting the truck back together. We just installed the box back onto the frame today. We have some minor things left to do this week, then we will finish the air conditioning.
The previous owner went through the trouble of putting on a new compressor and reciever drier, but did not have the system flushed before recharging the system. The new compressor started knocking after about 2 weeks after we bought it.We decided since we have the system open to change the orfice tube, found out why the compressor went, the condenser was pluged solid, we could not even get the orfice tube out,it was packed with probably parts and stuff from the first compressor. So now we have a new compresor,reciever drier,condenser and new lines. Anyway it needs to go to the dealer to be flushed, vacumed, and recharched.
It also needs to have the alignment checked after putting our home made air ride system on, so hopefully, next week it should be back on the road.
I have a boat repair shop and it's kind of embarassing to have to use my brothers construction truck (dodge) to pick up customers boats.
Although we have started and driven it around the yard, and did notice that the turbo spools up much faster, it does not seem any louder at all. You sure can here the turbo whine a lot more now.
I do keep track of milage every so often, so i will update this, hopefully in a couple of weeks or so.

Art,

Money pits, We have a 40' Performer (offshore) with twin big blocks, maybe converted to 6.5's later. A 32' St Tropez, cruiser with twin big blocks. We complain about a truck or car getting 15-18 miles/gal. These money pits only get about 1m/gal. And when something breaks, ouch $$$$.
B-bring
O-out
A-another
T-thousand

[ 10-04-2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Herman Bolger ]

TurboDiverArt
10-05-2005, 00:44
Art,

Money pits, We have a 40' Performer (offshore) with twin big blocks, maybe converted to 6.5's later. A 32' St Tropez, cruiser with twin big blocks. We complain about a truck or car getting 15-18 miles/gal. These money pits only get about 1m/gal. And when something breaks, ouch $$$$.
B-bring
O-out
A-another
T-thousand No doubt about it, boats are money pits! I always wanted a boat but no way I can afford to keep one. My little 6-cyl racecar gets about the same gas mileage as your boats. Counting idle time back to the pits I get less than two quarter mile passes per gallon. I think it's closer to maybe 3/4 gallon per run. Definitely if I turned it up to 30 psi it would guzzle a gallon per run. Top Fuel cars burns more than a gallon per second by contrast! That's probably on par with a cruise ship!

Art.

JohnC
10-05-2005, 07:21
A boat is a hole in the water into which any amount of money can be poured without ever filing the hole.

Airplanes are even worse...

DA BIG ONE
10-05-2005, 07:32
As for removing those difficult nuts an ole timer showed me a trick way back when: Apply parraffin wax to stud it draws up into threads when hot, but careful not to get burnt from dripping wax. Any good hardware store will have it.

TurboDiverArt
10-05-2005, 14:46
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
As for removing those difficult nuts an ole timer showed me a trick way back when: Apply parraffin wax to stud it draws up into threads when hot, but careful not to get burnt from dripping wax. Any good hardware store will have it. I've actually heard about that somewhere. This is the first time I've never been able to get a bolt off using PB Blaster. I was really surprised I couldn't get that one off... ****ing me off because I really wanted to replace the crossover just to say I did. Not that I think it will make any difference.

Art.

Herman_Bolger
10-05-2005, 17:28
John, I assume you have an airplane, what type, i've never been in a small plane. One of my customers has a plane but were not that close never been in it.He has a simulator room at his house, he loves to fly.

Art, We have some friends that are into 1/4 mile, One has a big block 1980 camaro, and the other has a big block 69 chevelle, they both run in the 10.0's consistantly. We go to an IHRA track to watch them about twice a year. Like to get one but these guys fab everything themselves, i would have to pay someone to do all that stuff, i'd have to sell a boat or an organ, could not afford that. These guy's even fab there own tube chassis, suspension parts, narrow their own rear ends, its pretty handy haveing them around when i need some small stuff fabed.They have a whole machine shop in their back yard, works out good for me. They just did the panhard arm and mounts for my air ride, hope we did that right. I like the 69 camaro but the 68z28 is my favorite. We did a 68 for a local guy, he picked it up from Calif. We washed the road grime of the floor pans and painted the floor, it looked like brand new, not like the rotten rusty junk around here.

Boy sure did get off topic- cheapo exhaust.

JohnC
10-06-2005, 06:07
I have owned a number of airplanes over the years. I am licensed as a pilot and also an airframe and powerplant mechanic. I currently own a Cessna 140, which is a '40s vintage 2 seat airplane. I'll probably keep it till I can't fly any more, as it is just a hobby now days.

Here's a picture of my plane (http://members.aol.com/cooperjr/jpeg/OnaHilton.jpg)

TurboDiverArt
10-06-2005, 10:45
John, I assume you have an airplane, what type, i've never been in a small plane. One of my customers has a plane but were not that close never been in it.He has a simulator room at his house, he loves to fly.

Art, We have some friends that are into 1/4 mile, One has a big block 1980 camaro, and the other has a big block 69 chevelle, they both run in the 10.0's consistantly. We go to an IHRA track to watch them about twice a year. Like to get one but these guys fab everything themselves, i would have to pay someone to do all that stuff, i'd have to sell a boat or an organ, could not afford that. These guy's even fab there own tube chassis, suspension parts, narrow their own rear ends, its pretty handy haveing them around when i need some small stuff fabed.They have a whole machine shop in their back yard, works out good for me. They just did the panhard arm and mounts for my air ride, hope we did that right. I like the 69 camaro but the 68z28 is my favorite. We did a 68 for a local guy, he picked it up from Calif. We washed the road grime of the floor pans and painted the floor, it looked like brand new, not like the rotten rusty junk around here.

Boy sure did get off topic- cheapo exhaust. Yeha, no doubt about it, being able to fab your own parts is needed. It'll cost you a fortune to pay someone to do it all the time. Something is always breaking! I can fab lots of things but my welder is only 130 amps so I don

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2005, 15:21
I just found in my shop a 3" flowmaster univ kit thinking to install it w/o muffler for reduced back pressure, but I'd bet it will be loud too.

Herman_Bolger
10-06-2005, 15:54
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
I just found in my shop a 3" flowmaster univ kit thinking to install it w/o muffler for reduced back pressure, but I'd bet it will be loud too. The ss diesel supply 4" muffler that came with our kit, they say to point the louvers toward the back- exit, we did it that way and put the tail pipe on today, just to size it up and ran it in the shop, it did not seem that loud.

Herman_Bolger
10-06-2005, 16:12
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnC:
[QB] I have owned a number of airplanes over the years. I am licensed as a pilot and also an airframe and powerplant mechanic. I currently own a Cessna 140, which is a '40s vintage 2 seat airplane. I'll probably keep it till I can't fly any more, as it is just a hobby now days.

John, to bad,or good thing your far away, i may have wanted to go for a ride. Of course i did drive all the way to Long Island NY to pick up a boat. Drove 12hrs pulling a tri axel boat trailer to find that the boat was a piece of junk. Then drove all the way back empty. I don't know how people in NY City drive that stuff everyday, we went through in the middle of the night, that was bad enough.

I was surprised to see the differant hoods that we went through, i mean you could watch it change from clean looking houses to barbed wire to cops in front of playgrounds, we were at a trafic light and noticed 2 cop cars and 1 cop walking back and forth in front of a playground, we thought they were waiting for someone, nope they were keeping watch over the playground, then go to a realy nice hood. It was kinda cool but i'm glad we did that part during the day.

Well i am glad to see that people here do other things than diesel stuff. I was starting to think i was not diesel enough to hang out here.

Barry Nave
10-06-2005, 23:33
Herman
I run stright from turbo to rear. Has a low rumble in the lower rpm range and at take off.
Running at any speeds you dont hear much,just under load. I like the sound,true diesel sound turbo and all :D

JohnC
10-07-2005, 07:01
I was surprised to see the differant hoods that we went through, i mean you could watch it change from clean looking houses to barbed wire to cops in front of playgrounds...That's the "other" New York. We pay taxes, they spend money...

Herman_Bolger
10-08-2005, 05:39
That's the "other" New York. We pay taxes, they spend money...

OOOOOH, the other NY. Actually we passed through N.Y. city twice, crossed the G.W. bridge both times at about 1 am that was busy enough for this country bumkin.

Herman

TurboDiverArt
10-08-2005, 14:25
OK, I got a little data on the new exhaust. I think freeing up the tail pipe does a whole lot over stock. With the boost fooler, stock tail pipe, glass pack muffler and 3"DP I would pretty much see the same boost levels when towing. Typically if I'm on it it'll flash to 14 psi until the wastegate can get control of it in about half to one second, then it settles in around 11-12 psi. With the tailpipe and towing this weekend I nailed it twice and both times it shot to 17 psi and then crept down to 11-12 psi. My conclusion since the same ending boost of 11-12 seems to be constant is that the bigger 3.5" tail pipe allows the truck to spool much faster than the stock tail pipe. I think I'm going to have to turn the fooler down a bit, flashing to 17 psi is way too high although I doubt the IAT's jump really high initially. I bet the IAT's are higher at sustained 12 psi pulling than at 17 PSI flashing for a second or two. I don't have an IAT gauge so I'm guessing here.

I have not filled up so I can

Herman_Bolger
10-08-2005, 17:33
We almost have the truck finished. I went to work today to actually do some work on a customers boat but, ended up working on my truck.

Have most of the bolts holding the box on, tailights, etc almost done but not quite. Anyway I could not resist, I wanted to drive it home so I put our dealer plate on and drove around with it today.

The exhaust was real quite, I was kind of disappointed. I was driving with the windows up,it's cold here today, anyway could hardly hear any differance. Then I decided to put the windows down once I came into town, stopped at a light and took off and could hear the exhaust and feel a little better pull. So I drove around our little town for a while kinda beating the old truck every chance I could, it sounds real deep accelerating and quiets down at cruising speed.

The fuel mileage is going down the tubes until the novelty of the new sound wears off. I am real happy with the exhaust.

The air ride seemed to be ok, A little stiffer than I thought. It might be that the bed was empty, I'm thinking there may not be enough weight in the box to make the air springs "work".

I will bring the truck back to the shop on Mon. to check that all the nuts and bolts are still tight and then check the air springs, to see if there is anything I can do. Right now I am pretty happy with everything so far, then we will have to try it loaded.

Herman