PDA

View Full Version : 2002 loss of power

wallman
06-02-2013, 13:02
help!! Just bought an 02 2500hd with duramax about 3mo ago and just tried to pull a skidsteer and lost power on the highway I shut it down and it would not restart right away about 10min later it started and I had lots of power again for 10 more min. then the same thing happened I went from 75mph to about 25mph it didn't stall but no power until I shut it off and restarted it. i took it to the dealer and he said i had codes saying i had a small fuel leak a large fuel leak and a tranny code not sure where to start he said $150 to 200 just to diagnose what might be wrong? I don't see any fuel leaking under the truck or under the hood. Could this code say fuel leak if the injection pump or fuel pump is bad? Not sure what to do any advice would be appreciated!!:confused:

Kennedy
06-03-2013, 09:46
Did they test the fuel system restriction?

What fuel filter is on it? The plastic housing Wix/CQ/NAPA units are prone to leaking. Hopefully it's just something simple. There is another thread running that sort of parallels this one.

More Power
06-05-2013, 15:47
a large fuel leak

This trouble code description (GM's) doesn't always adequately describe the problem.

What it really means is that the vehicle ECM is sensing a lower than expected fuel rail pressure. Like JK mentioned above, a bad or clogged fuel filter could be a cause. Also, worn fuel injectors can bypass enough fuel to make it more difficult for the high-pressure pump to generate the required fuel rail pressure. For those trucks, a new set of injectors is the only cure ($4k-$6k).

It would be wise to find out the root cause soon. If you bought the truck from a GM dealer, and if the problem is due to worn injectors, they may want to help with an injector replacement. In fact, I'd recommend anyone buying a used and out of warranty Duramax powered truck from a GM dealer to get a 6-month extended warranty. This way, you won't be surprised by a big bill if the previous owner traded trucks because of a looming hi-dollar repair.

Jim