PDA

View Full Version : Speedo/Odometer calibration (bigtires)

chesapeakechuck
05-29-2013, 14:29
I just bought a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 that has 285/75r/16 tires on it and I know the speedo is off a little bit at freeway speeds. I live out here in California and most of my running around will be on the freeway. I was told by the dealership that they were unable to program my computer to reflect the larger tire size, but they suggested that I buy a programmer and do it myself. I thought that was a bit weird of them, but whatever. I just ordered something called a Superchips Tirepaq 2806 programmer that is supposed to be able to recalibrate my truck computer to reflect the larger tire size. Does anybody know if this is a good programmer? I think I just plug it into the OBD2 port, type in the larger tire diameter, and then unplug the device. .....problem fixed...??

I also noticed that my drivers side tow mirror is shaking like a banchee at highway speeds (reminds me of my Harley). I saw an awsome post somewhere on the board here where somebody had posted fix-it pictures on how to remedy this headache. Going to try that tonight when I get home. Will post results.

CRAP----I just realized I posted this in the incorrect forum. Please accept my appologies------I should have put this in the accessories forum. Shoot me, I 'm new.

DieselDavy
05-31-2013, 08:49
How did the mirror fix go? Did it work?

chesapeakechuck
06-02-2013, 14:40
The mirror fix went well! The post I saw on this site was right on the money. The mirror came off easily and I shimmed the backside of it up with duct tape (didn't have any 2 sided 3m stuff lying around).

Unfortunately, I have other problems with the truck now. I just put a post up describing my new issues....I hate computers.