PDA

View Full Version : Intl Scout 6.2 ATS Turbo help needed

HRSPOWR
05-09-2013, 13:47
I have a 77 Scout that I swapped in a 6.2 700r4 setup out of an 84 Suburban.
3.55 gears, 33" tires. Rig weighs about 5000 lbs.

Runs GREAT, pleanty of power, lots of fun to drive, but I expected a little better mileage. Driving carefully, no stomping gas, etc, I get 10-11mpg.

Previous suburban owner had a Goodwrench engine installed approx, 70k ago. He also added an ATS turbo system.

During the conversion I beefed up the 700r4, turned up the pump about an 1/8th of a turn, I get no black smoke... Ever.

My pump advance is about a 1/8" past the factory mark towards the driver side. My cold advance is on a switch, and when cruising, if I flip the switch (with fast idle disconnected) there is a noticable surge forward, and boost gauge jumps by 2-3 PSI. (My ATS doesn't run boost unless I really step on it, and maxes out about 5-6 pounds)

It runs really well with cold advance on, but has funny throttle response, seems to surge, and builds psi twice as fast as normal.

I don't have access to a timing setup for diesels, so am trying to figure out by seat of pants.

by how it runs with Cold advance on, I would think it needs more advance?

I bumped it another lines worth, isnt that much louder, still runs great, but still works tons better when I flip advance switch.

Im I fooling myself that I can get better then 15mpg with this combo?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan

john8662
05-10-2013, 09:04
Part-time or full time 4x4?

How accurate is the speedometer/odometer combination?

J

HRSPOWR
05-11-2013, 07:23
Speedo is right on according to GPS.

Part time 4x4, hubs are unlocked.

This is a flying brick, no aerodynamics, so that's part of it, but thought I would get better mpg.

HRSPOWR
05-19-2013, 19:33
Kinda at a loss.

Think I will crank the timing a little and see what happens.

Robyn
05-20-2013, 06:56
My guess is that the Goodwrench engine is a 6.5 and not a 6.2

GM started using the 6.5 crate engine across the board as a replacement.

The pecups are not the same as the ones used in the 6.2 engines of the 80's and the 6.5 does not get the 20+ mpg that the 6.2 did

You should be able to get better than 11 though.

Timing is very important and you really need to get the timing spot on.

Missy

Subzilla
05-22-2013, 10:52
My '83 3/4 ton Sub has 4.10 gear, 35" tires, 4x4, 6.2, ATS turbo and (prior to broken crankshaft) was consistently getting 17 mpg. When I added the turbo, I put 6.5 heads on it. Without a trailer, I could see 6 maybe boost pounds but could spike up to 10 when pulling a trailer. Even when puller a pop-up or 2 horse trailer, I never saw worse than 15.5.

Follow Robyn's advice.

HRSPOWR
05-30-2013, 18:27
Hmmmm,

Never considered that it might be a 6.5

Will look at telling difference by casting number or something.

I think the ATS probably needs to be rebuilt, as there are no restrictions in exhaust or anything to stop boost.

Will have to see if I can find a local shop that can help me get timing right.

Thanks!