PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 t-stats

Dvldog8793
05-08-2013, 03:49
Howdy
I have done searches and can't come up with an answer. I am working on my 1986 CUCV blazer. it runs a little warm (190-215) and cools off in spurts. not real consistent. The t-stat has been replaced. I realize that there are two possibletypes of stats that could have been used. Question- Is it possible to determine what the PROPER type of stat to use without taking everything appart? Is the water neck the same? Also what are some current sources for a good high flow stat?
Thanks !!!

DmaxMaverick
05-08-2013, 06:57
If you have the hydraulic controlled fan clutch, what you are seeing is normal. It is on/off, while the viscous clutch is more progressive/gradual. The thermostat/valve for the hydraulic clutch can be adjusted for engage/disengage temps, but if it's no more extreme than what you are seeing, it's fine.

If you have the viscous clutch:
195-215° is OK, as long as it can be maintained. There's only one coolant outlet among all civi and CUCV models. The correct thermostat is either GM (make sure they aren't selling an aftermarket), or Robert Shaw. The fan clutch is as important for stable temperature control. Kennedy is the source for both. All this assuming the radiator is healthy.