PDA

View Full Version : Winter fuel

arrowheadracing
01-07-2005, 05:25
Kinda mimic my mpg loss post. I notice some people say that winter fuel will cause a loss of mpg ? Is this true ? This is my first diesel , my first winter ( Michigan ) with one also. In the summer the truck was almost as good as my 4.3 s-10 truck with 180,000 miles. I would average around 18 mpg , now winter time and I am averaging around 14 mpg. Truck runs great, but I am thinking maybe its winter fuel ? With diesel prices being close to 40 cents more then gas, I am tempted to start to drive my s-10 again.

Thanks
Todd

rjschoolcraft
01-07-2005, 05:42
Winter fuel has less energy content per unit volume... your mileage will suffer.

johnny2can
01-07-2005, 22:40
Do additives help? Maybe add more cetane boost in the winter? I have no clue, so be kind and don't laugh too hard... ;)

Perry
01-08-2005, 17:58
Over the many years I've owned my Suburban, this is the first year that I noticed that I'm down over 10% on my mileage for the last two cold weather fillups. I also feel down on power. The gauges show that everything is normal, but throttle response and acceleration seems a lot lower than before. But this is also my first winter with all my performance modifications.

I'm hoping its just the winter fuel.

Perry

moondoggie
01-10-2005, 09:07
Good Day!

My experience is exactly the opposite of Perry