PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Diesel Won't Start

vegan-diesel
04-24-2013, 08:55
1992 1/2 ton 2WD 6.2L 240,000 miles

I have 2 problems with my truck.

1. It will not start
2. Before it quit running I had a quiet knock on the passenger side of the engine. Performance seemed normal, oil pressure normal, everything normal except I hear this knocking sound.

So even tho, I had this noise my truck started fine, ran fine, roughly same fuel mileage. Recently changed oil and oil filter. Add Lucas fuel treatment.

The first thing that happened (except for knock/tap noise) was I drove it home from work. Parked it, next morning approx 10hours later went out to start my truck and it cranked and cranked for about 4-5 seconds. (usually started almost immediately) so I cycled the key and let the glow plugs cycle. It cranked for 4-5 seconds and started up.

I said to myself that was weird. Drove it to work. It sat for 8 hours. Got off work and it did the exact same thing.

And then this morning it wouldn't even start.

I opened the bleeder valve near the fuel filter and it spews out fuel when I crank it. I read that these have a mechanical fuel pump located on the passenger side of the engine. The only thing that is there is the vac pump. below that looks to be a plate covering where the mechanical fuel pump used to be.

I could hear a buzzing sound AFTER I cranked the engine, not when I turned the key on. Crawled underneath and found what seem to be an electric fuel pump. And I've always heard that noise from it ever since I bought it. However usually the pump noise shuts off after a few seconds. Now it stays on for a LOT longer after I turn the key off. Also it sounds louder.

Any Help would be appreciated on both issues:confused:. Thanks in Advance

OIL BURN
04-25-2013, 03:55
I've had the same situation with a frame mounted electric fuel pump on gas and diesel fueled trucks. What i discovered was either a crack in a fuel line on the intake side of the fuel pump causing air to be pulled in resulting in a cavitation or air pocket in the pumping chamber,or the pump has worn out. In both situtations the pump would speed up and get louder and in some cases fuel would drain back to tank causing prolonged starter cranking. Also some cases where pump was not totally shot,but barely able to pump fuel.

Check for crackes in rubber lines and tubeing,you may be able to find a trace amount of fuel at the cracked area,secure clamping at rubber/tubeing connections,if you have saddle tanks check the tank switching valve mounted on the frame usually at passenger side of the vehicle for leaks and tight connections. Any dry/hard rubber lines replace them,if no luck replace the fuel pump.

This addresses fuel tank to intake side of frame mounted fuel pump,output side of fuel pump to injection pump would show leaks under pressure.Hope this helps.