PDA

View Full Version : Head coolant passage sleeving

knakki
04-14-2013, 15:12
engine is 86 j code out of a cucv

Engine was just rebuilt by jasper and has less than 5k miles on it. its .04 over and runs great. I'm turboing using factory parts and gm8 turbo.

I have 3 cracks on each head that are dry cracks. engine runs great and shows no sign of leaks. However while I have the heads off I'd like to press in the bronze sleeves into the water passages between the valves.

Has anyone done this and have any information on what size, length, depth there pressed to?

ps. my family owns an engine machine shop thats been in business for 40 years, so were competent to do the work, just need information.

knakki
04-26-2013, 18:52
Well its been awhile, I found a high mile 96 6.5 set of heads with no cracks and was going to use them, but instead opted for the 6.2 because the intake valves are bigger.

I called up goodson and they had a product sitting on the shelves thats for repairing coolant passage leaks on the 6.2/6.5 heads. I however didnot document the procedure when I did it. I think ill try to sell the 6.5s and if buyer would like a preventative crack repair I'd do it and document it this time for everyone on here.