PDA

View Full Version : 93 starts and runs rough sometimes

Mechanicalull08
04-04-2013, 14:18
Hello everyone, this is my first post so here goes.

I have a 1993 C2500 6.5L TD 2wd, 4L80E. I am the second owner and have known and helped maintain the truck since 1997. It currently has 448,000 miles on the truck and engine, the transmission was rebuilt at 295,000. I was very close to the original owner and so I have a special attachment to the truck and plan on keeping it going for a long time.

So here is the issue, when I became the owner in '09 with 405,000 miles it would start and run like it had air in the fuel once every 2 or 3 weeks, so very hard to pinpoint what was going on. If I stopped and let it sit for at least 15 minutes it would start right away and you would here a sharp 2 or 3 knocks and it would clear up. If I kept driving it while it was running like this, I was able to clear the issue by putting the truck in neutral and revving up the engine and it would make that same sharp noise, puff out a good cloud of greyish black smoke and run fine again.

Over the years and miles it has progressively occurred more frequently, usually on a cold start, and on the occasion when it starts smooth. As I am first driving done the road and let off the accelerator it will start missing like I have air in the lines. While running rough the exhaust will have a greyish tint to it, but not like that is all that is coming out and if running smooth, then exhaust is clean. Once it warms up I have always been able to clear the issue through the earlier method and have driven many long distances and it will not occur again within that drive cycle. Every so often it will happen on a hot restart but very infrequent.

What I have done to remedy the issue to no avail:

Dropped the tank and cleaned sock (couldn't get a replacement at the time) fixed other issues and got mpg back, but not this issue-Done 410,000 miles

Replaced injectors with new Bosch and new return lines- Done 440,000 no change with issue, but when I installed them I did the non-turbo side first and ran engine to clear air out and the same noise occurred as described earlier when the new injectors were clearing the air out. Which is why I think it is air in the lines.

Dropped and replaced the sending unit in the tank-Done 442,000 no change with issue

Replaced fuel lift pump, I have an external fuel pressure gauge mounted under the hood to monitor fuel return pressure and was 4 psi before replacement and now 5-7 psi. Done 442,000 no change in issue

Replaced all of the remainder rubber lines on the fuel system under the hood, the two return hoses at the front, the one at the firewall, all the ones connected to the filter housing. the one from the filter housing to the injection pump became wet as i first grabbed it and was very dry rotted, i thank God thinking i had finally found the source of my frustration-Done 447,000 no change in issue.

I have changed the fuel filter many times also and the only mods the truck has is a turbo master from heath and a full mandrel 3" exhaust, I have the boost set @ 10 psi. I do have a boost gauge and EGT gauge.

I plan on keeping the truck for a long time, at least till 1,000,000 mile mark, and at some point what to take it off the road and restore it to its original glory. But right now it is my daily driver. I am leaning to a new IP pump and new Timing set, but don't want to replace all of that and it not be the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks Blaise

Robyn
04-05-2013, 06:41
Your spot on.

Fresh IP and new/rebuilt squirts should make the old girl run like new again.

Good luck

Missy

Mechanicalull08
04-10-2013, 13:26
Just received my Rebuilt IP form Kennedy, won't be able to put in until next week. I was just going to replace the IP since squirts are relatively new. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks again for your help.

Blaise

racer55
04-10-2013, 13:42
Better check the line between the LP and the sending unit-that is the location most often associated with air intrusion since it is under suction and air flows easier than fuel.O rings on th lines for the LP can cause trouble too.

After a sitting period air can often enter when fuel leaks out of the filter housing through the seals,in the bottom from the heater and the side from the water in fuel sensor.

Also any time a filter is removed -it must be replaced because the seal is not meant to be re used.