PDA

View Full Version : PMD/FSD harness won't budge. Any advice?

Steve O.
10-12-2004, 17:18
Installing a relocated FSD on a heat sync in the "traditional" spot on the intake and the #$%^& harness will not reach. Supposed to be a no extension needed kit. Seems stuck under the intake. Loosened the fuel filter to get my hand in from behind but that didn't do it. Don't want to yank on it obviously. What doe sit connect to under there? Or does it come out somewhere else?
The hour is growing late and the Red Sox are losing, so any help (with the truck, not the Sox) would be appreciated.

As always,

Thanks

Steve

diesel65
10-12-2004, 17:35
There is a good possibility that the harness is looped under the #1,3 injector lines and preventing you from pulling it up, the only way to remedy the problem is to R&R the intake manifold.

tom.mcinerney
10-12-2004, 18:21
I'm uncertain, but i think sometimes the black ground wire to the pump cover can limit travel...and this OK to extend a bit.

Steve O.
10-12-2004, 18:24
Thanks guys.

The ground wire is ok and moving with the connector. I've tried to peek with an inspection mirror from the firewall side of the intake but its hard to see what the problem is. File this under the category of "Nothing is every easy".

Steve

WhiteGMC
10-12-2004, 20:44
Steve O,

I did the same job on my truck it took less than 30 minutes. My instructions said to use a stiff wire and "fish" it out...but also it said to remove the ground wire and replace the screw...the new heat sink has a place to ground the ground wire.

Jerry

Here is where I got mine...it has some instructions on this site.
http://www.cleaninjectors.com/

Steve O.
10-12-2004, 20:49
Thanks Jerry.

Job was well on its way to taking only a few minutes, but hit the wall when the harness would not pull out when I hooked it with the hanger. Seems its caught on something.

Thanks

Steve

kevin77
10-13-2004, 04:57
I had the same problem when I installed my remote PSD - I was able pull the PSD harness (after disconnecting the ground) out through the passenger side of the injection pump. I managed to do this witchout removing the intake manifold.

Kevin

rjwest
10-13-2004, 06:11
Get an extension cable, get it off the manifold.
Pulling any wires in a GM product is enviting the gremlins's in.

MTTwister
10-13-2004, 08:56
Steve - I believe that's a short harness, and is part of a "larger" harness connectied to the wiring plug of the IP - It won't fish out from the back of the manifold - it has to come up from the side of the IP - probably the Driver's side.

I had to use super-sized long nosed pliers to get a grip on mine - immediately realizing that keeping the original PMD on the IP was gonna be a joke - no way ( for me) to plug it back in. Need to pull that PMD and put it in the glove box - but then I'll have to make a Torx-Tool. Dang deal ..

Steve O.
10-13-2004, 10:37
Yeah, I was only going in from behind to try and get a grip on it to free it up. Definately a short harness. I also was using an extra long set of needle nose to grip it but it would not get unstuck, and I didn't want to screw up the connections. I spent almost as must time this morning trying to get the harness back on the orignial PMD so I could at least drive it, but that was not going to happen. Will have to make up that torx tool some other time. Ordered up an extension cable from JK and had him overnight it.

Thanks for all the input.

Steve