PDA

View Full Version : more hp from a 6.2?

welshswampy
03-24-2013, 07:39
Hi all, first post so bear with me
I have a 6.2l non turbo early 90's engine in a 1988 bayliner trophy 2459 offshore
I am happy enough with the performance and fuel consumption, but wondered is there anything that can be done to up the hp a bit
I have read that these motors are rated anywhere between 150 and 180hp, I dont know for sure which hp I have and would like to know what was done to these engines to increase the hp
I cant add a turbo (no room) and dont want to pull the engine apart

john8662
03-24-2013, 11:37
Take a picture of the engine configuration and post it here.

Honestly, a turbo is your best bet for more hp on these engines.

Don't know what your intake tract looks like, air filter, etc.

J

Robyn
03-25-2013, 08:29
Welcome to TDP :)

As John said, pix will help some.

A marine application can make things a bit tougher to add a turbo, due to to water cooled exhaust and all.

Possibly a belt driven Super Charger might be an option.

Missy

welshswampy
03-25-2013, 14:00
I have no room to add anything to the engine (turbo, supercharger etc) as the 6.2 sits in a space designed for a 5.0l petrol, and I have twin exhausts exiting through the transom (so would need two turbos)
It has been suggested that a fuel pump and injecter upgrade may be the way to go (as used in military engines)
If so, which pump/injecters do I need
Thanks for your time, it is appreciated
Nick

john8662
03-25-2013, 14:46
It's not about pump and injectors.

If you have a free flowing intake/air filter you can turn the fuel up a little bit by yourself. You don't want black smoke, smoke is unburned fuel.

Before turning up the fuel I'd suggest installing an Pyrometer on the engine. This involves installing a thermocouple in the exhaust really close to the engine. You can calibrate your fuel based on Exhaust Gas temperature and smoke at full throttle/load. I'd say no more than 1000 degrees under any condition is your goal.

You may net around 10-15 More HP by doing this. Bigger gains have to be done with forced induction of some kind (turbo/super).

Do a search here on the forum for how to turn up the fuel on the injection pump.

We say turbo because that's really the most efficient way to burn the additional fuel that you'll be adding by adjusting the injection pump.