PDA

View Full Version : If it's not one thing, it's another - my engine replacement.

Subzilla
03-03-2013, 17:50
Just cleaned off the head gasket material from the block of the rebuilt replacement engine (see my other engine replacement posts) and found yet another issue, I'm afraid.

One of the cylinders has the indented imprint of the head gasket fire ring. None of the other cylinders do. I'm scared to ask, is this a bad thing??

What would cause this?

More Power
03-04-2013, 13:08
Got a pic?

A 6.5 gasket would move the fire ring out a little ways from where the 6.2 ring had been. If the groove is minor, it might be enough.

What causes it? The ring moves a very tiny amount depending on the quality of head bolt clamping and head gasket material. It can wear into the deck over time.

Jim

Robyn
03-04-2013, 14:06
This is common on Cyl's 1-2-7-8 and i normally found where coolant has migrated through and sat next to the stainless ring.

The dissimilar metals along with the coolant allows electrolysis to occur.

This causes the etching of the deck and is quite common on these enigines.

Keeping the coolant ph ballanced will help, but the problem is still an issue.

The late head gaskets for the 6.5 has a larger metal piece at the ends that helps prevent this.

As Jim says, use a 6.5 late gasket.

Missy

Subzilla
03-06-2013, 05:52
I measured the Felpro 6.5 gaskets I have already purchased and compared with the location of the fire ring indention on the block - almost the same location. I don't think this will work. Looks like I need to have the block machined to make it usable. I wonder if this engine has been bored out?!?

I already have a line on another drop-in engine for the sake of time and money.

Thanks for the suggestions.

john8662
03-06-2013, 13:59
post a pic of the ring on the deck.

Just a note on the 6.5 gaskets, use of these on a 6.2 block is fine, it's when you're using 6.2 heads that caution should be taken. If these heads have the extra cooling port, then 6.5 gasket's can't be used (bean shaped port).

I've also used the Victor Reinz head gaskets for the 6.5 for decks that are a little questionable because these gaskets have a WIDER fire ring.

J

More Power
03-08-2013, 15:59
post a pic of the ring on the deck.

Just a note on the 6.5 gaskets, use of these on a 6.2 block is fine, it's when you're using 6.2 heads that caution should be taken. If these heads have the extra cooling port, then 6.5 gasket's can't be used (bean shaped port).

I've also used the Victor Reinz head gaskets for the 6.5 for decks that are a little questionable because these gaskets have a WIDER fire ring.

J

If I were using installing new Fel-Pro head gaskets on an early 6.2 with heads having that cooling passage, I'd be tempted to use the 6.5 gaskets anyway. A small (and I do mean small) amount of sealant around that passage should take care of the problem. Jim