PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Injector

jeverly
02-26-2013, 08:42
Hello I am new to this page and have a question. I recently bought a 1982 K30 4x4 Dually with a 6.2. It has about 127000 original miles and runs out pretty nice. I just noticed one of the injectors is starting to drip. I already checked the low pressure lines and they aren't leaking. I read on line that I need to take the intake off to change the injector because of the fuel lines. Is this right, or is there a way just to swap the injector out without taking the intake off. Thanks

Subzilla
02-26-2013, 10:53
You can replace the injectors without intake removal. You may have to remove the metal connectors that hold the lines together, usually right around the valve covers. Then disconnect the injector line (3/4" nut). The lines are flexible enough to slightly move out of the way while you put your socket on the injector. Don't permanently bend them as some have posted here that build-up inside the lines could come loose and clogged the injector.

DmaxMaverick
02-26-2013, 10:54
Welcome aboard!

The injectors are nearly as easy to change as spark plugs. Get the correct socket to simplify the job. You don't have to remove the intake, or essentially anything. The injector line can be nudged out of the way during the swap. Remove the buddy clamps and carefully tweak it up and aside, just enough to clear. I use wire to pull and hold the line out of the way. They spring back to nearly where they belong, and a little nudge back finishes it. Keep the lines/fittings clean so you don't contaminate the replacement injector.

jeverly
02-26-2013, 17:56
Thanks for the info...I will get it changed out this weekend

arveetek
03-01-2013, 21:04
You might be able to tighten up the injector body (the injector is in two halves). I've had the upper half come loose and cause a drip. One time I was successful in tightening the top part of the injector to stop the leak. The other time I ended up having to replace the injector.

Casey

jeverly
03-05-2013, 19:32
I have noticed another problem along with my leaking injector. The voltage reading off my batteries is about 12.6 with the motor running. I noticed this the first day I saw the injector leaking. I took the alternator off and had it bench tested at NAPA...they said it was working fine. When I started it after I reinstalled the alternator it seemed to smoke more than usual. Can the alternator effect the fuel system in some way I don't know about? The only other thing I can think of is when I first bought the rig I ran one of the saddle tanks dry (fun time).After getting it bled out I didn't use that tank because the gauge wasn't working. Right before the injector started leaking I switched back to that tank (it was full with diesel) and I noticed it sounded like if wasn't running right. I only drove it about 2 miles on that tank before I stopped. Could I have sucked something through the lines that is cauing all this.