PDA

View Full Version : 97 GMC 6.5TD K3500 No Start

CareyWeber
02-21-2013, 20:05
My truck has started not starting. Last weekend my son tried to start it and no go and I tried too same result the truck was drove the day before. I left it set till Tuesday and tried it and it started fine. Today we drove it a few times with no issues till this evening when to drive home and it refused to start.

Both times it had fuel. I was able to get fuel from the fuel filter (I have a switch to allow the lift pump to be used to fill the fuel filter.

I have a Heath Diesel PMD. My injection pump has about 50K miles on it.

Any ideas where to start trouble shooting?

a5150nut
02-21-2013, 21:04
Check the fuel shut off solinoid to see if it is clicking.

Crack an injector line to see if fuel is getting past the pump.

Try a piece of clear lline on the return to check for air in system.

Check ground is on pump for pmd.

Check grounds in general.

Artworks
02-22-2013, 06:23
Check ground by the glow relay, if poor or broken contact . I check fuses to ECM also, your computer may not be getting a clear signal. I usually "GO TO THE GROUND" and that is where I find the problem.

Robyn
02-22-2013, 07:49
Sounds like a classic PMD FAILURE.

Do check the fuel shut off solenoid though.

The solenoid should make an audible click when the key is switched on.

If the solenoid is not clicking, then it's likely failed.

Missy

CareyWeber
02-24-2013, 18:52
Well yesterday it started just fine. I don't think the fuel shut off solenoid would be a random event, so I'm guessing it's likely a PMD issue.

CareyWeber
09-28-2013, 10:32
My truck has been running fine since that no start back in February 2013.

I did find the ground from the cab to the frame by/below the turbo (braided ground wire) was rusted almost through so I replaced it with a copper wire.

Well on Wednesday of this week (25 Sept 2013) my truck died in the driveway, but restarted just fine. I drove to about 27 miles to work no issues, but that evening after work it refused to start, so I left it there over night.

The next morning (Thursday the 26) when I got to work it still would not start, but after work it started just fine, so I drove it home.

I have a Heath Diesel PMD, so I called them and the guy asked me to test the lift pump, wiggle harness on the back of the injection pump and a throttle test. He thinks the injection pump is bad not the PMD (the PMD is outside the warranty period).

Lift pump: 3.8 psi @ idle and 3.75 psi @ 1400 rpm

Harness: wiggled it while running, but it never died or affect the RPMs at all

Throttle test: The test was to advance the throttle slowly from idle to 2800 - 3000 RPMs and back down to idle for about 8 times. He said if the throttle ever did not respond or vary from the input I was giving the injection pump is bad. I did this test about 20 times , but it never varied from the input I was giving the throttle.

I did notice that as I advanced the throttle the speedometer needle moved a small bit (yes the truck was stopped). ;)

I'm puzzled on what to do it ran fine March through September 23. I think that is to long for it to be a failing PMD.

I'm going to clean all grounds.

Anybody have any ideas?

CareyWeber
10-03-2013, 10:03
I just read about ignition switches causing no starts, but they seem to have no power to dash. I have power to my dash.

Is there a way to check the voltage to PMD to see if it is correct?

I drove it last night for about 5 miles with no issue, but I did not shut it off till I was back home.

CareyWeber
11-15-2013, 11:25
I bought a Kennedy Diesel PMD set and it starts fine.