PDA

View Full Version : little bugs

Diesel 4 blood
02-13-2013, 21:31
I finally got the 6.5 running good went for a 150 mile drive today only had to problems.

#1 under hard acceleration there was I want to say a hiccup when shifting from 3rd to 4rth and my SES light would come on but stop and shut the truck off and re start light is off and doesn't turn back on tell you push her hard again.

#2 when I got back home I had a really light smoke coming out of the dipstick tube is my crank case vent plugged or is there something else wrong and can somebody tell me why I can't vent the crank case to the atmosphere like my dodges do and even the 7.3 PS.

And there are some other problems it has no high beams turn signals don't work but that is just the blinker relay and my cruse doesn't work figure it is just the switch or is there something else I should look at any suggestions would be great :D

DmaxMaverick
02-13-2013, 23:03
1. Read the codes. Even though the SES lamp isn't on, a code should be stored in history. It sounds fuel delivery related, but could be any number of reasons.

2. You can plumb the vent to atmosphere, but external seals (mains, etc.) may leak over time w/o the little bit of crankcase vacuum. It will vapor some at idle after a hard run (smoke from the dipstick tube), as the intake doesn't have enough vacuum to keep it cleaned up. Make sure your CDR valve is good, or the crankcase vacuum will be excessive at higher RPM's and loads.

Any powertrain or emission related code, active or stored, can inhibit cruise control function. Fix your SES lamp issue, and try it again. Get the codes! All you need is a paper clip, on a 1994. The switch is another possibility, and it (the signal stalk) is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

The other electrical issues, tackle them one at a time. They are often very simple (such as a lost ground).

Diesel 4 blood
02-14-2013, 11:33
Thanks DMAXMAVERICK I have a obd1&2 scanner it said the code is 87 and my book said that is a high ratio code would that explain the hiccup when it shifts it grabs 4rth then back to 3rd then back to 4rth really quick only takes about a second then it will stay in 4rth tell you stomp in it or slow down
Can the CDR get plugged because when the smoke is coming out of the dipstick tube the dipstick is in and there is oil dripping out from underneath the dipstick handle running down the tube (sorry didn't explain better last night it was a really long day)

DmaxMaverick
02-14-2013, 15:23
A little vapor at idle is normal, but usually only detected when the oil filler cap is removed. Replace the seal on your dipstick. It may be broken, so a new dipstick may be the solution.

It is unlikely the CDR is plugged. It's a very large passage, with a spring loaded rubber gate (begins to close as intake vacuum increases). It has no function at idle, and should be open. If you can blow through it, it's not plugged. Remove it and blow through it.