PDA

View Full Version : Rear seal

Barry Nave
05-05-2005, 00:45
95-14 bolt 1 ton.
I had a rear duel flat,while there I CK. the brake pads looking through the inspection holes on the inside plate. Notice that the brakes were oil soaked,not brake flued.
Have not done a rear seal before though see where it should not be a problem. Asking about the steps,and if the shoes are ok can they be cleaned or should I just put new shoes on.
What got me to find the nail in tire was the driver side rear brake had a intermitent squeal under light braking.
The seal problem is on the Pass. side.

ogrice
05-05-2005, 13:16
I just did the maintenance a few weeks ago. As long as the shoes are not showing signs of oil getting to the contact surfaces, then you are o.k. You can clean the whole thing up as long as the shoes are still thick. The shoes last about 2-3x longer than the front pads.
1- loose the wheel lugs and the axle shaft bolts(6 bolts toward center of tire. Looks like part of the brake drum)
2- lift & remove tire and axle shaft.
3- remove inner retaining ring and key shaft for the spindle nut. (do not lose these pieces)
4- loose and remove the spindle nut. you will need a specific tool for the job or a flat screwdriver and a small hammer. put the screwdriver in one of the teeth pockets so that when you tap on the back end of the screw driver, you are turning the nut CCW.
5- the whole drum is ready to come off. don't lose anything. you should have the outer bearing, spindle nut, key shaft, retaining clip, 6 bolts and 8 lugs.

here you will be able to check and fix everything that you need to. you will need to get some gear oil to replace any that spills out when you are removing the axle shafts.

Barry Nave
05-06-2005, 01:29
Thanks
Thats what I also thought. My 59 F600 dump takes the same steps to remove the drum.
Why this seal leaked? not sure. The driver side does'nt though I'm thinking maybe I should do it also. Less than $5 ea. Truck has 138k. I thought the driver side had the squeal but it is the pass. side with the oil. The rear shoes were R&R at 70k. Also at this time I had to have the rear end clutch diff. replaced.