PDA

View Full Version : 19.5 wheels

Larry93
01-25-2013, 06:49
My 02 2500 cc long box needs some help on heavy tires.Has anyone done the Rickson tire and wheel upgrade and with what kind of results.. Looks like the way to go without the hassle of changing over to duals. thanks Larry93

More Power
01-25-2013, 13:42
I don't have any direct experience with Rickson, but here's what I've learned... The tire/wheel combo is larger in diameter than most stock tires/wheels. This can be a benefit or maybe not.

You'll need to update the ECM programming to reflect the new tire diameter. Otherwise, the speedo and fuel calculations will be off.

Taller overall gearing provided by taller tires could help or hurt fuel economy, depending on how you use the truck. The 5-speed Allison-equipped trucks could see the biggest benefit from taller tires.

Taller tires reduce the amount of torque your engine can put to the ground. If you're loaded heavy, this might be a factor in pulling hills or leaning into headwinds.

The commercial 19.5" tires last a long time - much longer than typical pickup truck tires. The downside is a more limited selection of tread patterns for ice/snow. Jim