PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Exhaust

jacoby0419
01-23-2013, 17:30
I have a recently acquired 83 1/2 ton Suburban with a 6.2 in it and looking to get it ready for the road. The initial problem seems to be that the exhaust is basically rotted out.

I seem to be having a problem finding much in the way of replacements though. Any suggestions where I can go to diy, I'm not a skilled welder so bolt on is a must, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I am fairly skilled at turning a wrench, but this is my first diesel, and my first GM (I'm more of a ford man) so any help on where to start would be much appreciated.

PS. I couldn't find the search function on this forum and am also looking for the list of top maintenance/performance tasks.

Thanks for the help!

AKMark
01-24-2013, 12:48
On my K-5, the mufflers were rotted and the pipes after the mufflers were bent and worn out. I removed the mufflers, bought some 2.5" exhaust pipe and clamps and made two straight pipes that went out under the rear bumper.

I don't suggest this if you live inside city limits. My 6.2 sounds like a racecar on steroids when I get on the fuel, but for the offroading it does, works great.

You can go to any exhaust shop and pick up mufflers that will clamp on the factory pipes (assuming the factory pipes from the mufflers to the motor are good) and any exhaust shop should be able to create a bent pipe to make it exit normally.

I haven't seen a bolt on kit for a 6.2 in a long time, except maybe from www.jcwhitney.com, but the folks I know who've bought exhaust from them (not necessarily 6.2) have always had to tweak them a bit to make them work.

Good luck!

neo
01-31-2013, 12:17
Are the manifolds included in the rquirements? If so, there were only two options when I was looking for the same, one was a custom header out of someplace in Cali IIRC, I think it was "Stans" or "genes" headers. Don't rememebr specifically, bt remember is was a little out of my budget. Another option is the Military headers. I never ended up with either cause I foudn a Banks kit and used my original D/S cast manifold and the new one from Banks. After that, I would hit a good muffler shop, should nto cost too much and IMHO muffler/Exhast work is... well exhasting. I hate it. Dirty, rusty and alwasy ends up with me swearing and bloody nuckled.
Good luck though!