PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler Fitting Size

BrentN
05-04-2005, 10:36
Does anyone have an idea of what the fitting size is for the outlet line off of the tranny? I am at work and have just picked up a temp gauge, I would like to plumb in a tee at the outlet on the tranny so that I can place my temp sender. Want to pick up a tee on the way home, that way I can finish the project soon after starting it.

Appreciate the help. Thanks

LanduytG
05-04-2005, 10:51
Depends on the year. I think its 96 and older are 5/16" inverted flare into a 3/8 npt male adapter. The newer ones are 3/8" inverted flare and still to 3/8 npt male adapter.

Greg

BrentN
05-04-2005, 11:11
Thats good information. Thanks. Does everyone aggree that putting a tee at the tranny outlet port is a good idea or should I tee into the inlet port of the radiator?

diesel65
05-04-2005, 11:33
Just heads up,
If your radiator is original from the factory it does not use a pipe to inverted flare adapter. Replacement radiators tend to use the adaptors to broaden the ability to fit different years.

LanduytG
05-04-2005, 13:37
To close to the floor for a tee at the trans. Been there done that. I would use a tee in the line out instead.

Greg

BrentN
05-05-2005, 10:56
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the heads up regarding putting the tee right off the outlet port on the tranny. It looks like then the next best location for it is where the tranny outlet line enters the Radiator. If the radiator doesnt have an inverted flare to pipe thread adaptor, does that mean that that joint is strictly a NPT fitting...Would it be 3/8 NPT?

Thanks for your help.